• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Gaaah! Help! Can't get stuck ball out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You were being shown a sign from above. A plastic stock and stainless steel barrel on a traditional muzzleloader with non-BP in the barrel was just too much to handle for the Muzzle Loading Gods.

I would boil the snot out of it with the nipple laying on the bench, and use more boiling water and a shotgun brush to scrub the barrel ahead of the stuck ball until it's clean. Just let the powder dissolve in the boiling water. Might have to use a capped 18" or 24" piece of metal pipe to boil it in. Then tap the ball an inch or so deeper, so you can boil and bore brush that area to remove fouling that has trapped the ball. Now get the ball puller in there and get the ball out while everything is hot and soaking wet. I did this with my first roundball gun when I was very new to Patched Ball rifles. Tinhorn

I post again what I did to get a stuck maxi ball out. I found an old Lyman/Enfield musketoon at my Dads that had been sitting there since the 80's . figured out it as loaded pretty quick so....
1. Ball puller pulled it off the range rod
2. Zerk fitting. no go wouldn't budge.
3. Hollow brass tubing just smaller than bore diameter filed and sharped the end a bit. Banged it down around the stuck bullet and out it came.

Turned out to be an old .58 maxi ball. The dried lubed must have glued it to the barrel. The pyrodex was a solid chunk in the bore and had to be soaked for a bit before it came out.

End result a nice rifle I remember shooting as a kid that's back up making smoke.

Back