• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

G. Fred Asbell

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230109-080647_Instagram.jpg

While not thought of as a muzzleloader guy, Mr. Asbell was making some wool clothing that many of us enjoy (or would like to) and it seems quite a few of us also enjoy traditional archery.

I pray his family finds comfort and that Mr. Asbell has found his way to peace and happiness on the eternal hunting grounds.

Back in the 70s and 80s he had the company Screaming Eagle. He sold swanndri wool clothing, had their own tree stands and lots more. I still have 2 wool outfits, stands even wool elk pack he sold. Was the best trad. Company there was. I remember when he got hurt in the tent fire and said what saved him was the wool long John’s he wore. Sence than all I wear is wool socks, underwear and shirts. I have some of his newer wool stuff he was putting out and still hunt with it all. He was a great guy and will be missed. I have a Fred bear Custom take down from the 80s that I hunted with for over 20 years. When over I get it out and all my gear and hunt I think of those guys. To me that’s how I keep their memories alive

Thank you for posting this, @Brokennock . I had not heard.

I was an avid archer and Traditional Bowhunter subscriber in the eighties and nineties. Mr. Asbell was a regular contributor. He wrote a terrific book on instinctive shooting, and had a very common-sense approach to equipment set-up and shooting. A traditionalist to the core. He was a good writer, too.

I am very sorry to hear of his death.

Notchy Bob

Thank you for posting this, @Brokennock . I had not heard.

I was an avid archer and Traditional Bowhunter subscriber in the eighties and nineties. Mr. Asbell was a regular contributor. He wrote a terrific book on instinctive shooting, and had a very common-sense approach to equipment set-up and shooting. A traditionalist to the core. He was a good writer, too.

I am very sorry to hear of his death.

Notchy Bob
You're welcome sir.
You are spot on in all you said. I still reread his books and articles. Sadly I never got to see and hear him speak in person, nor do I have one of his bows. Even though he frequently warned of traditional archers being "overbowed" it seems the few times I found one of his bows for sale it was of very heavy draw weight, 😆.
I'm still hoping to get a few items from his wool clothing company too.

Back