• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FYI about Tracks Green Mountain drop in’s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw the same issue last Saturday. A fellow club member bought a used GM drop in 40 cal. barrel out of Arizona, seller had to know. Appears the numbers are starting to add up.
Cheers,
R

I have a GM drop in, works great knock on wood. I must say the barrel is a fine piece, the breach plug quality doesn't look anywhere close. And that seems to be the failing component in all these reports. Wonder who supplies them. They need to find a better supplier or machinists.

I have a GM drop in, works great knock on wood. I must say the barrel is a fine piece, the breach plug quality doesn't look anywhere close. And that seems to be the failing component in all these reports. Wonder who supplies them. They need to find a better supplier or machinists.

This is off topic, but.

If I was looking for a T/C drop in barrel, I would be looking at Rice Barrels.

Rice is known for quality barrels and they do everything in house.

Looks like the drill used to make the hole for the nipple was a tad too long. Probably a short-lived thing, only until the bit got changed out. I have had one of those barrels in a TC Hawken for years. No problems, and a huge step-up from the TC barrel it replaced. I would not hesitate to buy another.

This is off topic, but.

If I was looking for a T/C drop in barrel, I would be looking at Rice Barrels.

Rice is known for quality barrels and they do everything in house.
Don't think Rice makes TC drop in barrels,least there has never been any on their website.

There was a recall on some GM barrels a few years back.. but this is the first that I remember with this issue..

The GM barrels that I’ve owned were of good quality...

Tip Curtis could still have some drop in barrels at his shop in Tn. If not he probably has the components too build one, including the GM barrel. 615- 654-4445

I introduced a friend of mine in his late '60s to muzzleloaders. He's hooked and just picked up one of these barrels from TOW. We're heading out to shoot it next Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Sorry to hear of your problem, Dillon W. The silver lining for you is that you can have it replaced and, more importantly, that your father was not injured. Thankfully, this has been just a big inconvenience for the two of you. The silver lining for me is that I hadn't even considered a .54 caliber barrel for the TC Hawken .50 caliber kit I built in 1979. Good to hear of some sources to consider if I decide to purchase another barrel. If anyone reading this thread happens to have a .54 barrel for sale that would fit my rifle, I would be open to considering it. Thank you.

Back