• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

FYI about Tracks Green Mountain drop in’s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon W.

40 Cal
Reaction score
As some of you know I ordered my dad a replacement barrel for his T/C from track of the wolf. The Green Mountain drop in to be exact, and it was exactly that. A drop in replacement of APPEARING TO BE good quality. Well, after about 10 balls the thing blew a pin hole through the freakin breech plug!!! What tha hey?!?!

I’m beyond livid!!!!

It looks to me like whoever machines or filed on the breech plug, in the slot that fits over the lock plate, got wayyyy over zealous with what they were doing and filed or machined it paper thin!

Should I call Track or Green Mountain guys??

Attachments

• 575ACA63-9213-43F1-B795-D98D9ED03A34.jpeg
    575ACA63-9213-43F1-B795-D98D9ED03A34.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 206
  • D8D7CE20-8C56-4A93-AD7B-0AD3999DA678.jpeg
    D8D7CE20-8C56-4A93-AD7B-0AD3999DA678.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 210
Boy this latest reincarnation of the TC drop in barrel by Green Mountain sure has not been smooth. There was another thread a while (didn’t find it with a quick search) where someone got two GM barrels from TOW with holes around the ‘cleanout’ screw.

I have a number of older GM barrels, LRHs and roundball twist barrels. All great shooters with no problems, although I did return three LRH barrels for a ‘health check’ because of a possible Helicoil problem recall. Got a quick turnaround, and no trouble was found.

I don’t know what to do. I’m angry. And embarrassed. “Happy Father’s Day dad! Let’s go shoot it!” “Gee I’m sorry, let me see if I can have it fixed”

Clean it, call Track and send it back to them. The problem looks like the breech plug to me, probably wasn't manufactured by Green mountain.

That’s what I’ll do. Thanks carbon. Things were looking great til that happened. The old man was shooting the best round ball group he’d ever shot until that. What has happened to American craftsmanship and quality? I’m a shop foreman in a machine shop, and I look over everything that leaves my shop and I would NEVER let anything out of the door that even made me think it might not be right

Returning to TOW is the way to go right now. Would still contact GM and ask them how to get a barrel with a certified good breech plug. In previous thread i referred to first barrel was replaced by TOW with another with the same issue.

Both your issue and the previous issue were with the breech plug. Sounds like GM has a supplier issue and little doubt they know about it.

And for what it’s worth, great gift for your dad. Not your fault the manufacturer had a quality issue.

Should be an easy and relatively inexpensive fix to replace the breech plug.

Both your issue and the previous issue were with the breech plug. Sounds like GM has a supplier issue and little doubt they know about it.

Is GM supplying the breech plugs or is Track assembling them using GM barrels ?

That’s what I’ll do. Thanks carbon. Things were looking great til that happened. The old man was shooting the best round ball group he’d ever shot until that. What has happened to American craftsmanship and quality? I’m a shop foreman in a machine shop, and I look over everything that leaves my shop and I would NEVER let anything out of the door that even made me think it might not be right

Mistakes happen. Im sure you have made some. Ever dry ball? Its not that big of deal, just send it to Track and they will handle it. No reason to complain.

Yikes! Sorry for your “issue” with the TOW Drop-in barrel. I’ve been looking at that unit but held back after reading if the problems reported with small holes/clean out screw area. This tears it for me though.
Harry

I would have contacted TOW before posting here to see what they had to say. To be honest your posts have a touch of hostility.

They are decent folks.

Back