• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Future Flintlock Project

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've wanted for years to have a trade gun due to my reading of that time period and experiences in the 1970's heyday of rendezvous meets. Wanted to have a PC piece but something different than a Pedersoli from the Dixie Gun Works catalog. Saw several threads by @Rob M. and was inspired to have one built by him. Now, how to get both PC and unique? Was randomly clicking around and found this interesting entry about a French Flintlock that was recovered from a lake. What got my eye was that it was a purpose built short musket. Not going to deem it a 'Canoe' model since that term seems to be a modern construct but there is historical references to 'short' muskets plus the actual museum piece to reference to verify PC accuracy.

Nota bene: it has a purpose built 27" length barrel:
Michimilimackinac___Capture.PNG

but the gauge / bore diameter wasn't given.

OK, so I set out to get pix of this bench copy. Found the museum of Ft. Michimilimackinac and got a contact; and emailed this list contact.
And believe it or not, got a response.

French_FlintLock_Trade_Musket_Curator_EMail___Capture.PNG

I responded in the affirmative and now the wait begins. Once the pix arrives, I'll post here for reference for all.

Since Ft. Michimilimackinac was new to me, I looked it up, and it looks really cool!
It would be a great place to visit, especially during an event.
Alas, a road trip for me would be about 1450 miles, one way.
Besides, it looks like it's closed for the Winter.
Plus, the low tonight is 7 degrees with an inch of new snow. ☃️
Snow is fun to grow up in, but I'm too old for it now. 🛷⛷️
I'll stay warm in Texas. (Fingers crossed!) 🤞🙏

Or go to Cancun with Ted Cruz! :ghostly:

Since Ft. Michimilimackinac was new to me, I looked it up, and it looks really cool!

Colonial Michilimackinac - Mackinac State Historic Parks

As far as Cancun, ... "Get Both" is always a valid answer.

That fort, Michimilimackinac be careful with that name. I once tried to pronounce it and summoned up a demon instead! 👿

I know it's a Pedersoli but I'm sure it could be used for everything, including a paddle.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index...roduct_name/FR0665+Dixie+Brown+Bess+Trade+Gun
I had seen those and was on 'that list' of guns considered to scratch that trade gun itch. I've had Pedersoli's before. I've got 2 Pedersoli's now. So, no hating of Pedersoli.
Just that I saw @Rob M. 's skillz and was wondering what could be done once pix are made available.
With @Blaze vouching for Larry Young's abilities, the repop that he made should be good to go.

I have driven past the fort many times as I live in Michigan. I have wondered about visiting but have always been in a hurry to get farther North.

I will have to plan for a visit.

Back