• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fusil Barrel Lugs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackP

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a Fusil de Chasse hunting gun 20 Ga.
Does any of you know how the (original) barrel lugs were attached to the barrel? Dove tail brazed or soldered ect.

Jack

Hi,
The rear lug on the octagon section was most likely dovetailed into the barrel but all the forward ones were brazed. French barrels had very thin barrel walls toward the muzzles. I would probably dovetail the rearlug and solder on the forward ones using a low temp silver bearing solder like Brownell's Hi-Force 44 or Stay Bright.

dave

I used solder paste on my fowler lugs, super easy to use, I tried to knock one off with a large hammer to check it the stuff bonded well enough, the lug didn't budge.

You probably already know this but it might help any newbies out there; The lugs I buy are too thick and probably won't match your barrel size, I drape a piece of sandpaper over the barrel where I want to install the lug, hold it tight on the opposite side of the barrel and run the lug over the sand paper to thin it and make conform perfectly with the barrel at the installation point.

I used this;

silver solder paste.jpg

I use an unconventional system to hold the lug for soldering, I can tap the lug slightly and get perfect alignment with the center line I have marked on the barrel after I have it clamped down.
soldering on a lug.jpg

Last edited:
Eric,
Only thing I do different, is hang a wire over the lug with a pound or two of scrap iron attached.
This weight pulling the wire down tight on the lug stays tight, and you can see the lug settle as the solder melts.
I always figured a clamp got slacker as the solder melted. Wire stays tight.
I use Dave P's (Above) low temp silver bearing solder. its tough and Very easy.

Thanks for the info.

I had already realized I had barrel thickness in the octagon section for a dovetail but for the three front lugs, the barrel is .070 to .081 thick. Thinking of making front lugs from .040 steel sheet metal. As per your advice I will solder them. After all it is only holding the very light and slender piece of wood too the barrel.

Thanks
Jack

I used solder paste on my fowler lugs, super easy to use, I tried to knock one off with a large hammer to check it the stuff bonded well enough, the lug didn't budge.

You probably already know this but it might help any newbies out there; The lugs I buy are too thick and probably won't match your barrel size, I drape a piece of sandpaper over the barrel where I want to install the lug, hold it tight on the opposite side of the barrel and run the lug over the sand paper to thin it and make conform perfectly with the barrel at the installation point.

I used this;

View attachment 140058

I use an unconventional system to hold the lug for soldering, I can tap the lug slightly and get perfect alignment with the center line I have marked on the barrel after I have it clamped down.
View attachment 140060
Eric- I am very interested in this product for a round gun barrel that will need underlugs and sights. Thank you- I may message you for more advice if that’s ok.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back