Further Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Muzzleloading' started by Dr5x, Aug 15, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 15, 2019 #1

Dr5x

Dr5x

Dr5x

50 Cal. MLF Supporter

I just finished writing a bunch of my early experiences but decided It read like excerpts from a book about Lincoln.
    I was pleased at the number of posts I got from people who seldom or never post at all.If you get consistent information from a limited source who has had some excess you will do better than getting your advice from a whole bunch of often disagreeing folks.. There are so many folks who proudly claim they are using my suggestions and then go on in the rest of the post that they use very little of what I found to be an amazing discovery.

I can determine

Someone commented bout some problems about dealing with different folks.
    I quickly learned that many men strongly resent any advice you might suggest as an attack on their manhood.
    "By Gawd I am a man's man and you can't tell me anything about rifles and shooting."
    Masculinity has little or nothing to do with rifles and so forth. Percey Dovetonsils could shoot as well as the alleged John Wayne if he does the correct thing.
    Someone also pointed out that women can be great marksmen because they listen and pay attention.

So it goes

Dutch Schoultz

Sun City and Howard Pippin like this.
  2. Aug 15, 2019 #2

bang

bang

bang

40 Cal

Ah, yep.

3. Aug 15, 2019 #3

yonderin

yonderin

yonderin

36 Cal.

Don't know why so many folks can have a hard time listening to advice, even if they choose not to use it. Sometimes it's their loss.

I have enjoyed the couple times in my life when guys were ignorantly dismissing my input and ate a good feed of crow after.

4. Aug 15, 2019 #4

Coot

Coot

Coot

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

So true. Good information is just that, and no one is being forced to use it. Sadly, some are hostile to improvement.

5. Aug 16, 2019 #5

Mean Gene

Mean Gene

Mean Gene

40 Cal.

I believe keeping ones mouth shut improves ones learning ability.

azmntman likes this.
  6. Aug 16, 2019 #6

hanshi

hanshi

hanshi

Cannon

I remember one particular karate student of mine. A technique he'd been having trouble with frustrated him for months. Each time I helped him I'd use a different tip, example, analogy, etc, hoping something would finally help. Then one day while coaching him I said something that "clicked" with him and he immediately understood. Advice is fine, take it or leave it. But sometimes one little thing that's brought up will be the one thing that opens a door. And this "one thing" can even come from a tyro.

7. Aug 16, 2019 #7

Howard Pippin

Howard Pippin

Howard Pippin

Squint MLF Supporter

Hi Dutch. I don't mean to jump into the middle of this post or the discussion that's going on, I would just like to comment and say of the years I spent helping to teach a junior rifle club, I can definitely state that the girls out-shot the boys practically every time, by the spring of the year, when the course was over. They would listen, he would do what you suggested, and they would do well.
    Squint