• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fur or no fur

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just made this shooting bag and want some opinions on if I should put fur or not. The fur I have a a pine marten I trapped last year and tanned myself. I like the fur but just curious on what everyone else thought 78545D76-434B-496F-8671-B725C2B8E7DE.jpegDB056162-E291-4779-8397-80CDFCFAF0CD.jpeg

A self harvested and tanned Pine Martin has got to have some significant value!
IMHO,,
I think the face deserves a better place, your bag looks better without it.

IMO, it depends upon where/when you woods-walk, albeit hunting, trapping, or just enjoying mature.

No fur for me, since I only wear my bags when hunting.

In the areas I'm restricted to (mostly in-state), I've run into yahoos that take shots at any fur they can see through the brush (breaking the commandment to see/know your target)

It’s your bag and a do what you want.
Fur on calf skin bags are known in the past. For me it looks bushcraft
But
Yours is the only opinion about your bag that counts. Craftsmanship counts a lot more for looks and personal satisfaction then any thing else.

IMO, it depends upon where/when you woods-walk, albeit hunting, trapping, or just enjoying mature.

In the areas I'm restricted to (mostly in-state), I've run into yahoos that take shots at any fur they can see through the brush (breaking the commandment to see/know your target)
So a fellow with a beard better stay indoors? :dunno:

I guide hunts for a living and have had people shoot right at me while wearing orange vest and waving a orange backpack in the air trying to get there attention so i don’t worry about the hair on because it doesn’t matter what your doing, people still don’t pay attention. We’re also on horseback when hunting everyday and have seen people we’ve seen people start to get ready to aim at us before they realize it’s us on a horse.

It’s your bag and a do what you want.
Fur on calf skin bags are known in the past. For me it looks bushcraft
But
Yours is the only opinion about your bag that counts. Craftsmanship counts a lot more for looks and personal satisfaction then any thing else.
Yeah I already have a good idea on what I am going to do but I always like to see what others think.

Leather bags with the hair from a calf on the flap only were more prevalent than other animals. Mariano Medina's bag in the Jim Gordon museum used to have hair on the flap of the lynx bag. The pine marten is such a striking hide I'd be tempted to make a long strike a light or pipe bag out of it.

A self harvested and tanned Pine Martin has got to have some significant value!
IMHO,,
I think the face deserves a better place, your bag looks better without it.
necchi, don't you dare start that harvested word again🤣

Yeah I already have a good idea on what I am going to do but I always like to see what others think.
The face is too large for that bag. That's kinda how I see it.
How much are you willing to trim off the face, to make it work?
It's legal to harvest Pine Martin here in MN too, but they're getting a bit rare.
That was my point, that face could be better used ,,,,

Back