• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Funny Muzzleloading Experience

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pheenix99

40 Cal
Reaction score
Apparently nobody at the range I go to has ever seen a flintlock before. Every single time I go, at some point, someone asks if they can get a video of me shooting it. RSO's tend to find it amusing when I walk up because nobody knows that the person to my left and right are about to get smoked out. The last time, I wasn't quite paying attention and forgot to grab a patch before the ball. I just blurted out "Guess I'm bare balling it". RSO's busted out laughing at several other people looked at me as if to say "What? is wrong with you?"

Plus the mandatory response of "NO!" when the RSO's tell everyone to pick up their brass always seems to make someone laugh.

My first time ever shooting a muzzle loader was my just finished TC Hawken kit. This was in 1980 so all I had was books and magazines to learn from. Luckily I studied well and everything went well. I was at an informal range in the North Maine woods, and a bunch of guys were there sighting in their deer rifles and none had ever seen a muzzle loader before but were really interested. I got to give a mini class on doing something I had never done before.

pheenix, I can relate to your story. I belong to a Conservation Club that is primarily for shooting. There a total of seven ranges and a shotgun range with three clay bird throwers. There are four ranges where you can shoot want you want, except 50bmg. Two ranges are 50yds and two are 25th. I always go to the last 50yd range through the week to avoid any crowd. With maybe 4 or 5 shooters spread out, you’re mostly by yourself. All ML’s are percussion. Invariably after a couple of BOOMS, another shooter will come by to see what is going on. Generally I offer to let them shoot one of whatever I brought. Occasionally they even ask to load one, under my close supervision. The only complaint I get is from my regular shooting buddy that brings about a dozen semi-autos. He doesn’t like the smell, lol. What I like is the amazing look and questions you get when you bring out the 54 & 58 calibers. I offer to help them if they are interested in starting this addiction but I have not been asked to help anyone as yet. Thanks pheenix & Bighorserider for sharing.

Last edited:
When my buddy and I get together to shoot the question becomes "Which is attracting more observers, the muzzle loader or the machine guns".

Until the belt fed 1919A4 comes out it is a fairly close tie but leans towards the muzzle loader if only because of affordability/availability. Dumping half a belt from the 1919 makes that thing pull into the lead with a quickness though.

Then since I'll actually let just about anyone fire off a shot from the 54, the muzzle loader pulls back into the lead.

ML guns are not uncommon at my club. At least it seems that way. Probably has to do with the fact that I tend to shoot very early on weekdays. Not many of us there and we all seem to be in the "old guy" category. Most of them have some traditional muzzleloader experience. Even if I'm the only one making smoke, it's just another day at the range in good company.

Weekend days leading up to hunting season are a different story. There will be some inline shooters there and many of them are experiencing frustration at finding out, or rediscovering, that they can't get their guns to shoot the way the ad copy describes. I have yet to see that vaunted long range ability of these guns. Those folks show no interest in the trad style guns.

In the fall, winter, and spring, I shoot with the FtLupton Club. From early summer through early fall, that range gets so hot, it’s like sitting in an oven, simply miserable…that’s when I shift ranges and go shoot up in the mountains at the Estes range. You would think those guys have never seen a muzzleloader before…what’s that? Can you hunt with that? I didn’t know you could hit anything with a flint lock? How long have you had that? Wait, you hit that target with a round ball, do it again? Can I shoot it?

I try to hit the range early, mid-week…so that when others arrive, I’m about done and ready to make the trek home.

So many in-lines these days, people forget what a traditional gun looks like up close….

I honestly can say that not once have I seen another traditional sidelock muzzleloader at my range. I've been a member for about 20 years. The usual deer/elk season inline crowd is often there this time of year but I dismiss them.

In the fall, winter, and spring, I shoot with the FtLupton Club. From early summer through early fall, that range gets so hot, it’s like sitting in an oven, simply miserable…that’s when I shift ranges and go shoot up in the mountains at the Estes range. You would think those guys have never seen a muzzleloader before…what’s that? Can you hunt with that? I didn’t know you could hit anything with a flint lock? How long have you had that? Wait, you hit that target with a round ball, do it again? Can I shoot it?

I try to hit the range early, mid-week…so that when others arrive, I’m about done and ready to make the trek home.

So many in-lines these days, people forget what a traditional gun looks like up close….
I'm getting better with my musket (PRB). Before too long, I'll be comfortable enough with it to go hunting.

I'm getting better with my musket (PRB). Before too long, I'll be comfortable enough with it to go hunting.
Just got back from the annual family Dove Hunt…the Kosha about killed me, I’m getting so allergic to that stuff. Each year is worse than the last.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/tales-of-makin-meat.151252/
In a week or so, I’ll head back for a late season dove hunt. Farmers should be cutting silage, so it’s a good time to start scouting pheasants, to see what November will bring.

….and rabbit season starts in October.

Last edited:
Where I shoot, there are plenty of muzzleloaders, but generally they are the modern inline type and only come out as hunting season approaches. These guys have all fallen for the old wives’ tale that a percussion .50 could not possibly work past 50 yards for whatever reason. Ringing a 150 yard gong with it generally gets me a few minutes of peace and quiet lol! I don’t think I’ve created any converts yet, but usually a few guys will want to try it and some good conversations are had that way. Good times.

Last edited:
So far I haven't seen any other shooters bring a traditional sidelock to the range up here. Down in Virginia there were at least two shooters who brought nice flintlocks (self built, too) but all others were the inline-shoot-three-times & leave dudes. Mine always draw interest from other shooters with suppository guns.

I bring a front stuffer to the range and let curious women shoot it. My club puts on an NRA Women on Target course every year. We put a target backer with clay birds out at 30 yards and the women get to shoot from the bench. Big smiles when the clay bird breaks.
Last weekend, I was shooting my .44 calibre revolver. Next to me on the firing line was a young man with a female friend from Germany. They watched the loading and firing process. I asked the young German girl if she wanted to try the b/p revolver. After she tried a few shots, she was happy that she got to shoot a "cowboy gun".

I bring a front stuffer to the range and let curious women shoot it. My club puts on an NRA Women on Target course every year. We put a target backer with clay birds out at 30 yards and the women get to shoot from the bench. Big smiles when the clay bird breaks.
Last weekend, I was shooting my .44 calibre revolver. Next to me on the firing line was a young man with a female friend from Germany. They watched the loading and firing process. I asked the young German girl if she wanted to try the b/p revolver. After she tried a few shots, she was happy that she got to shoot a "cowboy gun".

And this is how some of the most interesting friendships are made!

I never see traditional muzzleloaders where I shoot unless it was brought there by me or my dad. Every now and then someone will bring an inline. Half the time they have no idea how it works. I am glad to give what help I can, but I don't know much about those things. Seems like the traditional guns get the most attention from girls in their 20s. I will let her take a couple shots then get dirty looks from her boyfriend that brought a AR-15 that needs lots of batteries. People usually go kind of nuts when I bring a 4 bore. By the second shot there is usually a crowd of people taking video and lots of questions. Sometimes it is fun, sometimes it is annoying.

I never see traditional muzzleloaders where I shoot unless it was brought there by me or my dad. Every now and then someone will bring an inline. Half the time they have no idea how it works. I am glad to give what help I can, but I don't know much about those things. Seems like the traditional guns get the most attention from girls in their 20s. I will let her take a couple shots then get dirty looks from her boyfriend that brought a AR-15 that needs lots of batteries. People usually go kind of nuts when I bring a 4 bore. By the second shot there is usually a crowd of people taking video and lots of questions. Sometimes it is fun, sometimes it is annoying.
My good shoulder whimpered when I saw "4 bore".

Our club has a large and active black powder contingent so it's not unusual at all to see someone shooting a muzzleloader there. What did surprise me at first was that I hardly ever see a cap gun, just about all the black powder guys are shooting flintlocks. I went to one of the black powder shoots they hold every couple weeks as an observer and out of the 25+ shooters if there was a cap gun there I didn't see it.

My funniest muzzleloader experience was my cousin giving BP lessons back in the 70's. He gathered us inexperienced people together and said pay close attention. Truck was a bit of a character and very expressive in his training. He rammed the ball home and all the while made sure we all were paying attention. Then prepared to shoot and just a little pop, he had dry balled. There was silence until everyone saw the expression on his face and realized what had happened. That expression I will never forget.

You bring out the 4-bore and you could show up the 50 BMG !

More interesting was when a club founder told me i hit the active target every time, my response was that i was trying to.
Same bp club i was shooting my Kibler and a member said it went off every time i pulled the trigger. I mumbled for what i paid for it it better.

When I am working with a new shooter (always a cap gun), I make it a point to supervise the loading of a dry ball. Then we go through the process of shooting it out and get on with the fun.

I've heard of too many new shooters dry balling and in a huge fret go home and try to figure out what to do.

Back