• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fullstock hawken t/c parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As i have only assembled 1 rifle (a simple cva kit) i dont want something so technical i get discouraged. So im thinking id like to restock a t/c hawken with a pecatonica fullstock 98%inletted stock. Im not crazy about the brass hardware on the t/c, is there a resource that supplies steel instead of brass that would fit this new stock? Maybe a different triggerguard?
Id also be interested in the pros and cons of t/cs coil spring lock vs a traditional lock. HC isnt important on this project. This is for fun and practice, also to develop the skills necessary to tackle a more technical build later. Thanks for your comments. FatCat

I picked up a couple of steel conversion kits from the Hawken Shop and installed them on TC halfstocks. Pretty close to drop-in, though you have to clean and finish them (they're castings). I dunno quite what you'd want to do about the forend, but the steel parts look quite good to my eye.

Thanks brown bear, ill see what they have available. Good observation on the nosecap not sure how to proceed there, maybe a call to pecatonica, im not sure how they inlet for the cap or even if they do . What triggerguard did you get with your kit? Im looking for something a little less ornate that wont catch on every twig etc. FatCat

fatcat said:
What triggerguard did you get with your kit? Im looking for something a little less ornate that wont catch on every twig etc. FatCat

I just used the steel one that came with that kit. A guy could cut the "ear" off real easy.

In this game ye do wat ye enjoy.
But, to me, making a replica of a replica that isn't really a very good replica of anything seems odd and not really contributing to the preservation of the tradition. Plus replacing TC parts with something else is an added expense. Have you considered a completely different style with all new parts?

In this case im not trying to replicate any particular rifle, i like the look of a full stock and this saves me from the expense of a new lock, triggers, barrel etc. Yes i could use the brass again its not too bad with age. I just dont care for shiney brass on this one. Maybe someone knows how to darken the brass like i see on some "hunter" models? This project is a learning experience for me, if i screw it up all i lose is a t/c not one of the more expensive traditional kits. If i get it right ive got a good looking working rifle and some inexpensive stock fitting/finishing lessons. Then i might try something more advanced and historically accurate.

fatcat, I did a half stock using a Pecatonica precarve and T/C parts. When I ordered the stock I told them NOT to inlay for trigger guard, oval inlays and barrle tang, that way I could buy what parts I liked and make them fit. I got steel parts from all over. You can check it out here :
http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa462/Shack561/
Good luck, Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe someone knows how to darken the brass like i see on some "hunter" models?

My second ml rifle was a TC Hawken. Like you,I disliked the store-bought look of the.....Ah...store bought rifle. :haha:
I steel wooled the shiny finish off the wood and oiled it. The brass I aged by rubbing with my dirty patches after a shot. I swab my bore with spit dampened patches. I also browned the barrel by applying browning solution right over the blue. Worked. Didn't take long to get the thing appropriately dingy and grungy looking to suit my tastes. BTW, I still have that rifle 40+ years later.

Fatcat, if you get a TOW catalog (all parts full size)you'll find some triggerguards that are slightly larger than the TC and can be trimmed to fit the Hawken stock. I like the feel of the Southern triggerguard and have put that one on a Pecatonica and really like it. I've also used the Hawken Shop ,Hawken style, another good one.
Deadeye

Maybe someone knows how to darken the brass like i see on some "hunter" models?

I'm primarily a deer hunter and don't like shiny brass either. I ran across some "Brass Darkening Solution" at Rocklers and had to try it. I really liked how everything turned out. It puts several years of age on it about 15 seconds. I haven't had it long enough to know how well it will wear though.

Sir you understand exactly, i just dont want a shiney factory rifle. A few cosmetic enhancements will improve the looks of this t/c at modest expense thanks for your expertise fatcat

Thanks deadeye ill do that. The factory trigger guard is a little to ornate for me, its not to awful if subdued ,, but it still looks like it fell off a chandelier. Fatcat

Brass can be darkened by using dirty cleaning patches on it or you can get "brass black" from Birchwood Casey. It goes on pretty dark but a little rubs off as it is handled. Just keep putting more on until it stays like you want.
Mark

Ah ha , birchwood casey im familiar with that brand. I didnt know they made brass black but ill bet its cheaper than replacing the brass with steel. Just fine for this project! Thank you. Fatcat

Eb i got your message thanks, for some reason im unable to respond via pm. Or get photobucket to work for that matter. Rural living has its benifits ie always having a place to shoot, and less flatlanders to deal with. However communication suffers. Fatcat

Back