• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Full stock Hawkens rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevew

40 Cal
Reaction score
As I was looking thru the post on here I saw a full stock Hawken rifle that really caught my eye. I have tried to find the pic again but
I am having no luck. So if you have a pic of your full stock rifle a would love to see them.

Here's mine. One of only two percussion guns that I own, but this was my first build. Hawken.jpg

If you do a search on Goggle: full stock Hawken rifle, there are quite a few.

A full stock Hawkens is going to be one of my projects in the very near future...so many guns and so little time, money, wifely patience, etc.

I have one with a blank built walnut stock, Bill Large barrel and ALL forged hardware including a 2 piece butt plate. The gentleman who made the hardware built the lock and triggers also.

I have one with a blank built walnut stock, Bill Large barrel and ALL forged hardware including a 2 piece butt plate. The gentleman who made the hardware built the lock and triggers also.
Did you use English or black walnut for your stock? A friend of mine gifted me a nice black walnut plank recently and I am thinking of using it for a flinter. Any opinions?

I used Balkans it finished out fine. Antiques the whole thing and it's been taken as original several times.

I slipped on a rock while elk hunting and as I fell I turned my rifle to land on its butt. Hit a rock with the toe and broke it off. I was surprised at how easily that butt plate bent. In the repair, I fitted long screws under the toe plate across the crack. Now every Hawken I build has two-inch long screws under the toe plate to reinforce the toe. Jim Bridger's Hawken also had the toe broken off and the refitted buttplate toe is moved forward of the normal curve. The butt plate and toe plate are riveted together with a diagonal rivet. When Green River Rifle Works had the Bridger Hawken in their shop (for about three years!) they disassembled the rifle, taking the buttplate and toeplate off, riveted together.
58PBOpen.JPG

Latest posts

Back