• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD Full Stock Flint Hawken 58 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This full stock Hawken has a beautiful curly maple stock. The barrel is a 1" x 36" Colerain with a 1-66 twist round grooved @ 58 caliber. A hooked breech makes barrel removal a snap with three wedge keys. There is a patent breech which is easily cleaned with a .40 caliber jag (included). A Medina-style patchbox is installed. L&R Hawken flintlock. Finished weight is 9.6#. Length of pull is 13 3/4". A "traditional" styled peep sight is installed on a dovetail for quick target acquisition in the field and "gentle" on older eyes. The long sighting plane makes for great accuracy. The gun comes with a custom fit leather case, wool blanket lined, from NW Traders.

The lock in the closeup of the peep sight looks proud of the mortise, but that is because the lock was loose as I took the barrel in and out working the peep when I took the picture during installation. It snugs right into the mortise.

The best load I have found is 100 gr of 2F pushing a .575 round ball and .015 patch. 50 yard and 75 yard example targets pictured.

The rifle is in excellent condition with no real dings or handling marks that my eye can pick up.

Shipped where legal in the lower 48 included. $1450.

16729536386_583405ed7e_k.jpg

16567919988_67bbd1713a_k.jpg

16754357762_02aefc4090_k.jpg

16135488043_bd08117f79_k.jpg

16755432155_fe6ed4d631_k.jpg

16125075354_fc2bf25b94_k.jpg

45878028465_bd46a7bc3b_b.jpg

18215350050_7f2575dcfa_k.jpg

46793171441_f84a2c40e1_b.jpg

I'd replace the buggered lock screw, or at least peen it back into shape before it gets worse. Too easy to have a screw driver slip and mar that beautiful stock! Besides, even the correct size bit won't fit it as it is. Other than that, Perfection! Enjoy thomas! You got a beauty there! Worth every cent I'd say too!

Huntschool: Yes, this is one of my builds. The lock, buttplate, toe plate, and trigger guard were heated with a torch and the heat removed as the various colors appear. The barrel, thimbles, and patchbox were cold blued then rubbed back to the mottled gray finish.

Thanks all for the compliments.

who made the rear sight?

The rear sight is called a Johnson Peep Sight and is available through Muzzleloader Builders Supply in either steel or brass. I did build and attach a dovetail instead of using the screws on this build.

The aperture is sold separately, but I don't use the ones from MBS. I like the Williams Twilight Aperture which can be purchased many places, but I've ordered from Midway USA. I sight in with a smaller hole Aperture for most accuracy, then when I hunt I just screw that one out and put in a .125 hole size so I get enough light for dawn to dusk hunting.

https://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssup...?cart_id=9195809.23107&next=25&product=Sights

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...ilight-3-8-diameter-with-125-hole-steel-black

That one is a looker...and a shooter! Nice job on it Spikebuck! The buyer is getting an awesome rifle there.

Thanks to all that have expressed interest in this rifle and for all the nice compliments. It's been very much appreciated. I wish I had a handful of these based on the interest and PM's I've received. The buyer has sent the funds, so this one is SOLD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back