Full face fur hat...Mountain man attire?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by brazosland, Mar 21, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 21, 2019 #1

brazosland

brazosland

brazosland

36 Cl.

Were these hats made from complete coyote, Fox, etc hides used during the fur trade era?

2. Mar 21, 2019 #2

necchi

necchi

necchi

Cannon MLF Supporter

Nope.
    There where hat's made with parts that looked like ears.
    But nobody was dumb enough to wear a hat that looked like something you should shoot for fur or food on their head.
    Thus the need for "blaze orange" during our current hunting seasons.
    Full face fur hat's are a 70's mockery of rendezvous era camping. Your a real cool looking dude if have one though. ;)

FiremanBrad and tenngun like this.
  3. Mar 21, 2019 #3

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

They weren't made at all...

Maybe some of the fur was used as trim or a cap was made from the fur.
    The closest I can remember was when plains warriors would wear a wolfskin to stalk bison, since wolves were common around herds. Other than these examples, they appear to be a complete fantasy item and should be avoided...

4. Mar 21, 2019 #4

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

Juice Jaws

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

You mean Jim, Kit, or Meek did not wear fox head hat with glass eyes?

Nyckname likes this.
  5. Mar 21, 2019 #5

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

Nope - it was a coyote hat, fluffier....
    Don't forget the paws/legs and the tail too.

I'll tell you what I call these types of hats, but you'll need to PM me.

Treestalker and Nyckname like this.
  6. Mar 21, 2019 #6

Straekat

Straekat

Straekat

40 cal - b

As an aside, before the adoption of the horse by Amerindians, the Plains were largely uninhabited. Hunters who ventured onto the Plains after bison without access to horse, stalked on foot. Once the process of acquiring horses began, it revolutionized the way of life of tribal groups who were living in river valley settlements round round, and allowed them to adopt a nomadic life on the Plains, following and hunting buffalo herds....on horseback.

When Karl Bodmer arrived on the Plains, most but not all tribes had acquired horses and their way of life was changing. Some of what he painted was based on what he'd heard from elders, not necessarily what he actually saw.

Nyckname likes this.
  7. Mar 21, 2019 #7

brazosland

brazosland

brazosland

36 Cl.

Thanks for the education. They do look cool though...and match my beard!

8. Mar 21, 2019 #8

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

Beards are another problem. Natives called whites "Hair-mouth". another reason why the Hollywood version of Mountain man should be avoided...

Jaeger likes this.
  9. Mar 21, 2019 #9

brazosland

brazosland

brazosland

36 Cl.

When you say “problem”, what do you mean?

10. Mar 21, 2019 #10

shane a gress

shane a gress

shane a gress

40 cal - b

I would imagine that if your main source of income came from selling furs, you wouldn't waste one on your head.

11. Mar 21, 2019 #11

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

Problem in that many/most men in the day shaved regularly and beards were not common.

Jaeger likes this.
  12. Mar 21, 2019 #12

Black Hand

Black Hand

Black Hand

Cannon

Also, many of the MM dealt with natives who didn't seem to view beards/facial hair favorably. Regardless, the Hollywood MM look is one you should avoid at all costs - especially since it is simple to have a realistic and correct portrayal...

Jaeger likes this.
  13. Mar 23, 2019 #13

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I believe Meek is shown with a hood shaped fur hat, some years after the MM period. A photo from the 1860s shows a trapper in a woolen outfit with a fur hat that’s simple flat topped round hat, no face.
    Miller wasn’t in the high lonesome during winter but he did paint men with hood shaped wool blanketing hats. Some with flat tops and ‘Wolf ear’ shaped triangles at the back of the hat, some more rounded.
    Painting of general working men show knit caps and wheel hats, along with slouch felt hats. Kurtz does show an Indian with a strip around his head but no top of some sort of fur, no tail or face. Catlin shows a holy man with a wolf faced hat with the paws laying down the sides of the face. This was ceremonial as he had dead duck skins snakes ect on his shirt.
    From personal experience, a double thick wool hood over a knit cap is warmer then a fur hat in the cold.
    We don’t know for sure what MM wore in the winter, but ‘Canadian caps’, wool and fur was common in the eighteenth century, and seen in Kurtz paintings after MM period

Jaeger likes this.
  14. Mar 23, 2019 #14

brazosland

brazosland

brazosland

36 Cl.

Thank you for that detailed reply. If they made throws from buffalo and bear hides, a fur hat doesn’t seem completely far fetched. The Russians certainly wear fur hats, and they have modern choices.

I could see it being considered trailer parky to wear skins instead of wool garments, but in a tight squeeze you do what you have to for survival.

SDSmlf likes this.
  15. Mar 23, 2019 #15

brazosland

brazosland

brazosland

36 Cl.

I was confused by the “hair mouth” comment above. Beards were uncommon? It seems like regular shaving would be a luxury...but if it’s a societal norm you would do it regardless.

16. Mar 23, 2019 #16

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Miller painted ‘real live MM’ and most he shows were shaved. Walker is shown with a full beard, but the few beads shown were short.
    Beards show up in paintings at that time frame and get in to discriptions of men wanted for some reason. However they were not in style. Through out much of the late seventeenth and most all of the eighteenth century shaved was in style.beards would not become commonuntil the middle of the nineteenth century. Trade goods sent to rendezvous included razors.
    In winterdid men want a beard? We don’t know. But most seem to have gone to ‘voo’ With a smooth face. Clean shaved isn’t quite the same as today’s clean. Men often shaved twice a week.
    Two things though, by this time the ‘bearded’ leatherstocking was already a stereotype. And stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason. The other thing to keep in mind was ‘dog face’ or ‘hair face’ were names used for whites. So enough bearded men had to be seen by western tribes to make the name.
    I wear a beard and have forty years. It is incorrect for the avarage men in the times i do. I would not have been a freak if seen then but I would have been noticed inthe street and stared at by children.

17. Mar 23, 2019 #17

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

One other comment, yes they had fur and could have made anything from what they had. Most men grew up in homes where as children they would have learned basic sewing skills.
    On the other hand new trappers were hired by the companies and started their journey to the high country in March. It’s wintertime. It’s just at the end of the mini ice age. It’s cold in Saint Louis In match, the new hired have warm clothing.come next summer they would result at rendezvous, they had access to cloth. If they did make something it’s likly they would follow standard white sewing patterns and not Indian’ style.

18. Mar 23, 2019 #18

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

19. Apr 16, 2019 #19

BigSkyRambler

BigSkyRambler

BigSkyRambler

40 Cal.

I just wrap my Mom's old fox stole around my head. Made up of four small foxes with heads on.o_O

20. Apr 19, 2019 #20

Enfield1

Enfield1

Enfield1

40 Cal.