• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Full cock in stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Locks and set triggers can be tuned and then manually maneuvered to be much more quiet than in stock condition. Tuning , familiarization, and a little practice will allow from none to a very light click at most. If a deer is close enough to notice, he is close enough to not bother using the set trigger. Well adjusted triggers and tuned locks will allow at least 2lb to 4lb front trigger weights. Quiet cocking of a lock and setting of the triggers should be so easy as to be done with little to no thought or special effort. It requires practice. It is a must to be familiar with your gun for maximum success in use. This "ape" has killed 40/50 out of a climber tree stand, and although "NOT" recommended, on one occasion downed one, reloaded my fire lock in the stand and took a second.

I keep my Edward Marshall flintlock rifle on full cock while in a stand, as the hammer is quite loud when cocking. It lies across my lap and when I see a deer it’s just a matter of pulling the rear trigger to set the front trigger. However, I don’t walk around with it at full cock and instead keep it at half cock.

The covers are fun to make and don’t take long, just need some scrap leather and waxed thread. I use a thick paint stirring stick and shape it to match the dimension of the frizzen to mold the leather as I’m sewing it.

Attachments

• AA6E6BE6-C3D2-46FD-B0ED-89C095945057.jpeg
    AA6E6BE6-C3D2-46FD-B0ED-89C095945057.jpeg
    117.1 KB · Views: 0
No, any sound can make a buck jittery after they've been hunted a bit.
I beg to differ. How does a deer know it is being hunted if it doesn't see you or hear you walking? Don't say gun shots, they do not scare animals. Animals assume gunshots are thunder. I have often killed a second after the first by just staying put for a few minutes. Deer go by movement more than sounds although they are alerted by foot steps from any source if they hear them. By scientific wildlife experiments, deer have about a 3 minute attention span to sound or movement. I have found that to be pretty accurate.

No, any sound can make a buck jittery after they've been hunted a bit.
I remember years ago while riding my Palamino horse in our woods on the farm in Michigan, a 10 point buck came through , stopped , took a look at me and the horse an acted like it was the most natural thing in the world. He finally wondered off not the least bit alarmed. I guess he was maybe 20 yards away from us and Ted (my horse) perked his ears up for a minute and then ignored the buck who responded in the same manor.

I beg to differ. How does a deer know it is being hunted if it doesn't see you or hear you walking? Don't say gun shots, they do not scare animals. Animals assume gunshots are thunder. I have often killed a second after the first by just staying put for a few minutes. Deer go by movement more than sounds although they are alerted by foot steps from any source if they hear them. By scientific wildlife experiments, deer have about a 3 minute attention span to sound or movement. I have found that to be pretty accurate.
I've clicked off safeties ( even trying to not make a sound ) and had bucks drop, jump or spin around, same with the creaking of the stand, it really doesn't take much. Around here it seems we have three hunters for every acre of land. I used to hike in a couple miles but eventually the 4 wheeler boys found and widened the trails. Can't seem to go anywhere anymore. So yeah, deer are jumpy as hell and after the first day or two start being nocturnal.

I’m in favor of the half cock position while in my blind/stand.
As stated, cocking too full cock can be done without spooking the animal.
It just takes a little practice.

If using a frizzen stall ….,always remember too remove it prior too firing the shot! 👍
Lesson learned..😡

You can lead them too water, but you can’t make them drink…

5DC692DB-D8AE-4AE7-9DD3-F948135FC40F.jpeg

😬

Most of the time when I'm hunting it is quite cold and I'm wearing gloves. I find that when I cover the lock and lock area with my left gloved hand while moving the hammer from half- to full-cock, the sound is greatly dampened by the glove.

A single click at the most would get the deer to stop and look around to see if there is danger
Don’t sweat the small stuff
i have had deer very close to me near come out of their skin just from a click from the safety on one of those new fangled things.did it a few times on deer i did not want to take as a test. north east woods are close range shoots. i would not take the chance on loosing a nice busk or even a doe if i wanted it.

i have had deer very close to me near come out of their skin just from a click from the safety on one of those new fangled things.did it a few times on deer i did not want to take as a test. north east woods are close range shoots. i would not take the chance on loosing a nice busk or even a doe if i wanted it.
Absolutely feel same way. I will try holding front trigger while setting hammer back but when I tried before it didn't seem to work like my percussion triggers.

I made leather frizzen covers for all my flintlocks. Scrap leather pieces is all that's needed and yes it is fun and simple. When hunting I would have the hammer on either half or full cock - hard to remember it's been several years since I last hunted - with the leather cover on the frizzen. See a deer then remove the cover and shoot.

I have a siler lock on my flint. I just started deer hunting with it this year. When I pull from half cock to full cock to prepare to shoot, the “click” can be heard in the next county over. On this particular lock, you can’t fire it until the set trigger is pulled. To avoid the loud click I put it on full cock and do not set the trigger. I should also state that I hunt on our own land by myself and only do this when I get into the stand and am settled in. I also do not lower the rifle down with it at full cock. Is there a better way? Wondering what you other hunters do
That’s exactly how I do it, too, Andrew. At least with my Hawken. With flintlocks I open the battery and dump the priming pan before hauling up or lowering.
Jay

Back