• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Full cock in stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a siler lock on my flint. I just started deer hunting with it this year. When I pull from half cock to full cock to prepare to shoot, the “click” can be heard in the next county over. On this particular lock, you can’t fire it until the set trigger is pulled. To avoid the loud click I put it on full cock and do not set the trigger. I should also state that I hunt on our own land by myself and only do this when I get into the stand and am settled in. I also do not lower the rifle down with it at full cock. Is there a better way? Wondering what you other hunters do
Dang, does any one " still hunt" any more standing on their own two legs ? Tree stand and blind hunting is" bushwacker style hunting" in my opinion and I don't like it much but that's just my opinion! Course the success ratio is far higher!
My last deer hunt was on Kodiak some years back , we were allowed three and we still hunted them using scoped rifles. We all limited out so it does work pretty well ! I only can remember one out of the many deer I have shot on the Island that was outside of muzzle loader range.
These were all Sitka black tail deer which I don't think are quite as wary as White Tail but it still was challenging.
😄

Last edited:
Dang, does any one " still hunt" any more standing on their own two legs ? Tree stand and blind hunting is" bushwacker style hunting" in my opinion and I don't like it much but that's just my opinion! Course the success ratio is far higher!
My last deer hunt was on Kodiak some years back , we were allowed three and we still hunted them using scoped rifles. We all limited out so it does work pretty well ! I only can remember one out of the many deer I have shot on the Island that was outside of muzzle loader range.
These were all Sitka black tail deer which I don't think are quite as wary as White Tail but it still was challenging.
😄
Well, some of us can barely walk anymore but still enjoy getting out and hunting. Sorry if it's not up to your standards.

😄

I sometimes hunt from the ground…

B9B65243-6537-451C-95E0-49F922F0E60E.jpeg

F0608036-7105-47CB-B75A-2F3B27CEABA5.jpeg

I watched this deer an another buck almost identical too him eating acorns for 20 minutes as they slowly fed towards me.
Some areas are more conducive too ground hunting than others.

I’ve had success hunting from the ground, but I don’t consider hunting from a blind or elevated platform or using the topography of the land too your advantage to be “bushwhacking “ anymore than shooting one looking thru a scoped rifle would be..
But that’s just my opinion.👍
Too each his own…

😄
Ever hunt in the northeast woods?
😄

I grew up in Michigan hunting white tail in the hardwoods. I liked to still hunt in fresh snow until getting close for a shot and or following a fresh track and repeatedly jumping the same animal getting gradually closer. The deer became curious at watching there back trail interestingly, if not being shot at, and I could gradually work closer by doggedly tracking them and trying to figure where they would circle back to and cutting them off. They have an area of familiarity where they live, feed and bed down and don't like to leave unless continually pushed by lots of human pressure.
I hunted them with a single barrel shot gun and slugs which have similar range capability as does traditional muzzle loading arms.
Where I lived were small farms of roughly 165 acre (quarter sections) all having hardwood lots and grain fields. I could move from farm to farm knowing all the families in the area and the deer would have a circuit they would not readily leave.
They're habits are similar with some adaptations in large forests but in the farm country one gets much longer shot challenges.
On Kodiak we have alder brush every where so is much like hunting thickets in Michigan.
My back will no longer allow me the long hikes I used to relish to hunt deer and I miss it.
Old habits die hard !

I grew up in Michigan hunting white tail in the hardwoods. I liked to still hunt in fresh snow until getting close for a shot and or following a fresh track and repeatedly jumping the same animal getting gradually closer. The deer became curious at watching there back trail interestingly, if not being shot at, and I could gradually work closer by doggedly tracking them and trying to figure where they would circle back to and cutting them off. They have an area of familiarity where they live, feed and bed down and don't like to leave unless continually pushed by lots of human pressure.
I hunted them with a single barrel shot gun and slugs which have similar range capability as does traditional muzzle loading arms.
Where I lived were small farms of roughly 165 acre (quarter sections) all having hardwood lots and grain fields. I could move from farm to farm knowing all the families in the area and the deer would have a circuit they would not readily leave.
They're habits are similar with some adaptations in large forests but in the farm country one gets much longer shot challenges.
On Kodiak we have alder brush every where so is much like hunting thickets in Michigan.
My back will no longer allow me the long hikes I used to relish to hunt deer and I miss it.
Old habits die hard !
Getting back to full cock hunting, I think the hammer stall idea a safe alternative, especially in combination with half cock if the lock will allow it and still let the frizzen complete closure.
Actually, half cock alone in not all that safe by itself !

Getting back to full cock hunting, I think the hammer stall idea a safe alternative, especially in combination with half cock if the lock will allow it and still let the frizzen complete closure.
Actually, half cock alone in not all that safe by itself !
In hunter education we preach that half cock is NOT a safety. I allways use a hammer stall. Often in the stand I am at full cock with the frizzen cover on. Especially if in one of my stands that I probably won’t see a deer until it’s close enough to peg with a acorn. BJH

Since I nearly tore my finger off once coming down from a tree stand I now park a folding chair up to a tree and sit thre waiting for the deer to come to me. I have much better luck seeing deer than I used to when I would blunder (oops still hunt) through the woods looking for them!

Tom

Since I nearly tore my finger off once coming down from a tree stand I now park a folding chair up to a tree and sit thre waiting for the deer to come to me. I have much better luck seeing deer than I used to when I would blunder (oops still hunt) through the woods looking for them!

Tom
Some folks "still" is much quieter than others but I sure know what they're saying when that lock click goes off and sounds like some one dropped and anvil on a tin roof ! 😄

View attachment 181566

View attachment 181567

I watched this deer an another buck almost identical too him eating acorns for 20 minutes as they slowly fed towards me.

I’ve had success hunting from the ground, but I don’t consider hunting from a blind or elevated platform or using the topography of the land too your advantage to be “bushwhacking “ anymore than shooting one looking thru a scoped rifle would be..
Too each his o

😄
Around here, if you still hunt, you will run into other hunters who are in their blinds, or treestands. All you will be doing is pushing deer to them. It's also thick where I hunt so attempting to sneak in on an unsuspecting deer is an exercise in futility. They hear you coming long before you are within range, and get out of Dodge before you get there.

Around here, if you still hunt, you will run into other hunters who are in their blinds, or treestands. All you will be doing is pushing deer to them. It's also thick where I hunt so attempting to sneak in on an unsuspecting deer is an exercise in futility. They hear you coming long before you are within range, and get out of Dodge before you get there.
Perhaps I should describe what still hunting actually is and confess I have never been patient enough to be a really good still hunter. Actually once in the place to be hunted the movement is very slow , methodical and limited. It only takes a step or two to present a completely new scope of view, angle and shade. This very often will reveal and ear move, steam of breath or head down move to pickup an acorn. One can spend and hour or two and move maybe 20 ft in total. No stepped on cracking twigs, foot fall or brush of a limb on hunting cloth or perceptable movement which are the things that really alert deer.

View attachment 181566

View attachment 181567

Too each his own…
Really nice buck by the way ! What was his weight! We used to see bucks taken that were over 300 lbs on occasion. They eat like a cow being grain fed most of the time in farm country.
I have noticed our deer in Michigan on the farm were far more brown in color than the one in the picture. Course being a ten point he was probably at his peak.

Back