• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Full Circle from MI

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swandog

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi everybody, nice forum here. I built a CVA Mountain rifle back in 1979 which was my first gun. I hunted and target shot it for a few years before I retired it and moved on to center fire rifles and handloading. I load for 9 calibers and eventually I got into long range shooting and load development with a chassis rifle in 6.5 Creedmore.

Going through my gun safe to check and clean anything that needed attention I pulled the old CVA out of it's gun sock and thought I need to revisit this beautiful rifle. I dug out the blackpowder tacklebox and did some 50 yard shooting off the back porch. First three shots at a short fat 1lb empty propane cylinder half shoved down in the snow clover leafed. Ok, I'm hooked all over again and will have a bunch of reading to do here!

On hand I have .490 balls and .010 patches but am thinking about thicker patches and some .495 balls to see what I can do out to distance.

Welcome! Ditto not changing anything with it shooting so well. AND if ya try other changes one at a time. You jump to thicker patch and bigger ball and what ever changes ya wont know if was th patch being thicker or the ball being bigger. I'd go thicker patch 1st if I was determined to change an outstanding load.

Well, after about 50 shots these past 10 days I found the clover leaf has spread out to 5 inches more or less on average. So much for my first 3 shots! I got ahold of some Goex fffg and a few patch sizes to experiment with. I bought Dutch Schoultz's "book" (94 pages printed out) and it looks interesting. I have strips of fabric drying on the table right now.

Back