• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Full Buckhorn Sights???????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Full buck horn sights....

Love them?
Hate them?

I've read where some folks use their unique design for accurate shooting close, quick medium range shooting, using the peep like center of the sight, and, good long range shooting using the tips of the horns for reference.

I've got a halfstocked 45 with a full buckhorn rear, but I've not shot it much past 60 yards or so. I plan to stretch it out using the different reference points of the sight and see what I think.

Until then, what say you?

Best regards, Skychief

:td: I could never get use to em. Then again I cant seem to use a peep either :idunno: Mental block maybe. I prefer the ol fashioned ones like GPR comes with

I never cared for them. Up close too much of the animal is covered up. I have "semi-buckhorn" Williams sights on a pump .22 and they work fine - but they have the "U" notch and a gold bead I can drop into the "U". I still like the horizontal blade rear with a "U" for a bead or square notch for a blade front the best.

Peep sights I have used with good results.

According to Jack O'Connor (for those who remember him . . . )
11904d1353976328-hunting-iron-sights-joc-bk-rfles-.jpg

Disagree with ole' Jack. The shallow V doesn't give enough of a point or notch to line up on the front sight, IMHO. The buckhorn is versatile and can be filed out to suit the shooter. But, keep in mind, for competition, the top notch must be 1/4" or wider.

In my old age for open sights I've had the best luck with Patridge style sights with the square shaped front sight and square cut notch in the rear sight. I regulate them with the front blade even with the top of the notch in the rear sight. For me it is more repeatable in aligning the sights.

Skychief,
This is what I like for own reasons, clarity and aesthetics. I make them out of channel iron using a hacksaw and files.
Flintlocklar :wink: https://flic.kr/p/24qtJHz]
40314770475_f7e2576506_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_0219 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/139498371@N08/

I prefer peep sights now but also like the T/C Hawken rear sight .. nice and clear.

Jack O'Connor was a hard-headed egotist. Only he was right. I disagreed with his opinions on almost everything from .270s to desert hunting. He was right about the 7x57 though.

Well, I love peep sights, and like patridge and "U" rear notches. Express sights I like a lot, though many others don't.

Full buckhorn sights are actually very good and I like them. But they have no place on longrifles, IMHO. Too often when someone hears "buckhorn", they really visualize these thick semi to "almost" buckhorn monstrosities. A proper, true, full buckhorn is much more slender and graceful and doesn't cover up game at all. With a good notch at the bottom, normal range shooting is no different than with regular sights. For a bit more distance they can be used just like a peep. If one feels like lobbing ball way out there, then the space between the horn tips will do nicely.

But then it's a matter of taste just like everything else when you get right down to it.

Full buck horn sights are the most useless sight ever invented in my opinion. They are about style alone and don't do anything particularly well for sighting that cannot be done better with a partridge front and wide, shallow, open or aperture rear sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skychief said:
Full buck horn sights....

Love them?
Hate them?

So far, I really like buckhorn on my 2-week-old .50 sidelock GPR. Only had it to the range twice now, but I'm painting target centers with it, so it must work for my 68-year-old eyes. First few shots I really didn't think I would like them, but they grew on me really quick.
I use a Williams aperture rear sight on my T/C .50 Renegade, and I really like it too, so that was kind of a change.
Now, when I get my PRB load set-up testing done and start moving out past 50 yard targets with the GPR, I may not like the buckhorn so much, so the jury is still out.
Skychief, interesting thread. :thumbsup:

xljswn.jpg
[/img]

I always judge guns and their accessories as to which survived through the years, The stock design that endured is the Lancaster while all the "fads" disappeared.

The plain partridge sight whether w/ a bead or blade has survived the test of time and is popular w/ some....but "scopes" have taken over and many different reticules have been tried, but the simplest ones have survived. My choice was a medium dia dot....just put it on the target and shoot. When considering rifle sights, simplicity is the way to go.

Peep sights are popular and I've used them for a couple of yrs for hunting and also in the Army on a Garand and they work fine for me when the rifle is shot from a horizontal position, bur when shot from an up or down angle, my eye is unable to center the bead.....,my buddy had the same problem. Looking through a large aperture and concentrating on the bead is simple, but didn't work for me and my buddy on angled shots.

The shallow "V" w/ a triangular marker {express sight} is fairly good and is used a lot in Africa on big game which are larger targets, but don't know how accurately they would head hit squirrels. This sight requires 3 points of reference...front bead, bottom of shallow "V" and the triangle which might only be used for fast alignment...but is still necessary.

Simplicity in rifle sights is paramount and the partridge sights are simple, but not as simple as a "scope" which requires only one point of reference before shooting.......Fred

Back