• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fudd whacked first flintlock turkey!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adkmountainken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally took my first turkey with a flintlock my Roy Stroh clubb butt fowler affecentily named Fudd to be precise! 5 yard shot 90 grains FF, hornets nest, 1 1/2 ounce #5 and topped with hornets nest. sudden death to a nice, plump Jake. frorm field to frying pan in 2 hours!

Attachments

• IMG_4550.JPG
    IMG_4550.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_4542.jpg
    IMG_4542.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_4537.jpg
    IMG_4537.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 61040579854__DFB335F6-1767-4183-A4D1-E8AF61A80169.JPG
    61040579854__DFB335F6-1767-4183-A4D1-E8AF61A80169.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 120
A five yard sitting shot not what you can call a sporting shot but every man to his own give me a 35 to 40 yard driven pheasant or partridge any day
Feltwad

Here in the UK there is no Turkey shooting has far has I know so no I have not shot Turkey or would . like too , here shooting sitting birds is frowned upon but has I said every man to his own. Here in the UK I have shot all the known gamebirds plus water fowl and pest control with 72 years experience driven pheasant ,partridge and red grouse and pest control are what I can now manage at 82 years , in my younger days I enjoyed shooting walking up over a brace of pointers or setters
Feltwad
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0364.JPG

Last edited:
do you realize here in the States shooting a flying or running gobbler is UNSPORTSMAN like as it gets! you want the closet shot possible preferably with extended head and neck to deliver the killing payload. i will tell you a turkeys feathers and wings can be a suit of armor at times if you are foolish enough to take a running or flying shot. i pride myself in my calling and ability to sit ROCK SOLID STILL when a gobbler is committed and coming in. absolutly LOVE to turkey hunt and hear them spit and drum just feet away!

i actually feel bad for you that you have never experienced a boss gobbler playing cat and mouse with you at close range. strutting, gobbling, challenging you to kill him! i can tell you my friend there is no feeling in the world like being up on a mountain 5am listing to the owls hoot which sets off a boss gobbler and gives away his location. you close with in 150 yards if possible maybe stop at 200 as not to bump him. find a nice, huge oak tree, set at the base with your back to that tree that is so much older then you its not funny. settle in, take out your thermos, watch and listen to the world come alive. as first light peaks over the ridge old Tom Foolery begins to sound off in all his glory. you smile knowing your about to lock wits with such a majestic, incredible and worthy adversary. he sounds off again, now double and triple gobbling! you realize there are know hens roosted close Lord O Mighty it might be my day let the game begin! you check your prime, pick the flash hole wipe your flint clean. finally he hits the ground and gives the first gobble off roost. you wait, make him anxious like he is all alone, let him gobble again. now you give just a couple very light yelps.... GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE hear hears you. you shut it down know, gun on knee, adjust yourself where you think he will approach, silent as can be. 10 minutes go by you begin to wonder did he see me???? did i do something wrong??? did i.....GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE just over the knoll it about blows your hat off and the hair on your neck raises! you can hear him walking now...spitting.....drumming....THERE HE IS at 60 yards full strut dragging his wing tips head changing from blue to bright white like a light bulb. you can see his eyes searching his head bobs as he takes a few steps and goes back in to full strut. a crow calls and he lets rip with a thunderous gobble at 30 yards!!!!! you have positioned yourself well by a small dip, he goes out of sight on the other side, you pull back the flint heart pounding out of your chest so bad you can barley keep control. at 15 yards you see his bright white head crest the small knoll. your ready and give a quick, soft help and he stops dead brakes strut and pops his head up for a look.....BOOOM the woods if full of white smoke your legs are so cramped you can barely get up but even though you can't see him through the could of smoke you can hear the tell tale sign of "the flop" and you know this mountain monarch has sang his last song. when this feeling ceases to flow through my blood my time on Earth no doubt has come to an end.....

Last edited:
adkmountainken, you captured the challenges and thrill of turkey hunting precisely! Might I humbly suggest that Feltwad would very likely enjoy a turkey hunt in the US with you, as much as I'd guess you would love a pheasant shoot over the pond! I know i would!

Latest posts

Back