• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fudd whacked first flintlock turkey!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would trade a day's driven pheasant for a days turkey hunting in the states any day!
Sadly I have nothing to trade as I don't have anything to do with driven pheasant shoots any more. I got tired of the egotism, snobbery and the unceasing slaughter by shooters that don't care a jot for the birds they shoot but hey....each to their own!

GREAT reply on post # 19 Ken! I didn't dare blink the whole time. Indescribable. That's what a gobbler hunt is to someone that's never gone.

Indescribable, but your post comes darn close!

Don't let Feltwad rattle you. A year or so ago, I went through the same thing with him. He's ignorant, not stupid, ignorant, where turkey hunting is concerned.

Like you, I tried to come close to explaining the nature and traditions of our hunts, but I thought it fell on deaf ears then. Now I can say I'm positive that he hasn't a clue about the quarry nor the methodology needed to match wits with an old tom, let alone, the sportsmanship involved in introducing one to our ovens with our chosen "old" guns!

So, don't lose that satisfaction-induced half grin which you are wearing from your great hunt anytime soon. I'm still wearing mine and its two weeks old now!!!

Good hunt friend, Skychief.

Congrats on one of nature’s most challenging hunts!!!
As said by Skychief above, the old man is ignorant to what a tough hunt can be. I had a go round with him in the past as well. Hes a snob, ignore him and enjoy your success!!!!

I would trade a day's driven pheasant for a days turkey hunting in the states any day!
Sadly I have nothing to trade as I don't have anything to do with driven pheasant shoots any more. I got tired of the egotism, snobbery and the unceasing slaughter by shooters that don't care a jot for the birds they shoot but hey....each to their own!
Sir absolute rubbish if not for driven pheasant and partridge shoots there would be very little for you to shoot only the odd rabbit maybe a jealous attitude...everyman to his own

Feltwad

A five yard sitting shot not what you can call a sporting shot but every man to his own give me a 35 to 40 yard driven pheasant or partridge any day
Feltwad
You clearly know nothing about turkey hunting. Let's see you call a turkey to within 5 yards. Oh, that's right, you'd have one of your "beaters" do it for you.

Here in the UK there is no Turkey shooting has far has I know so no I have not shot Turkey or would . like too , here shooting sitting birds is frowned upon but has I said every man to his own.
So you know absolutely nothing about what it takes to get a male turkey in that close, and to wait and keep it that close until it present the right ethical shot (generally body hits with birdshot on turkeys are ineffectively) without spooking it, yet, you have the audacity to criticize the sportsmanship of someone who has done it?!

Awesome job with the fowler!!! Well Done. Driven birds with BP would be loads of fun.

Purely amazing description of a opening morning in spring turkey woods. Very well done sir. Could of been this morning in Missouri. another challenge not consider by those who have never been in a wild place. Find your way in and back out of the thick mountain forest. Not the same as hunting a pasture standing still with tea served

your not kidding! when i hunt the mountain its

Purely amazing description of a opening morning in spring turkey woods. Very well done sir. Could of been this morning in Missouri. another challenge not consider by those who have never been in a wild place. Find your way in and back out of the thick mountain forest. Not the same as hunting a pasture standing still with tea served
[/QUOTE]
a 45 minute hike STRAIGHT UP all by headlamp as you have to get up there before sun up to listen and st up. they usually are not to far from where i know they roost but they have changed it up enough times to keep me on my toes. like i said i always try to st up with a small dip or other obstruction to block the turkeys view until he clears it which puts him about in my lap. the dissadvatage to doing it this way as opposed to field hunting is for this to work you can not see him either and need to have nevers of steel and patience to wait for him to appear and we all

My first flintlock turkey was taken with a Fusil fin C I made. The turkey was taken with 83 grains of 3F Goex, 1/14 oz. of 5&6 shot mixed. My first shot was a flash in the pan so I had to pull in that 5 ft. fowler, duck down and clean out my pan, pick the hole, add more primer powder (3F), see if he was still there and ease the barrel back out of the blind. Amazingly he was still there. That shot absolutely face planted that turkey at 30 yards, no flop DRT. That hunt with a flinter I made was a memorable one, complete with the "Chinese fire drill."

Last edited:
Back