• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front wrist / rifle rest for LR ML competition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a big match at Oakridge in 2024 in March but the USIMT nationals are this March at Ben Avery see this attached flier. This 1000 yard only "World Championship " was just taken over last year by the muzzleloader organization. I have been shooting LR cartridge since 2007 but I'm a fawn deer with milk on my lips with muzzleloader competition, but there is enough similarities that I'm catching on but have no time to waste. I live in the state of Colorado and look forward to meeting you at one of the matches if I haven't already if you shoot cartridge I'll bet I have.

Attachments

• SuperShootMuzBlastAd2020v2.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 173
I have BPCR, but dont get much with them. Been to Lodi a few times. KS for a sil. match.

I hope that the USIMT nationals take off and are great. I have been on the team for 3 different World matches. I just wish that it was closer.

The match of the year is and has been Oakridge. More LRML shooters come to this match then any other in the USA.

I am going to put AZ on the calendar and have been toying with making the drive out there in March.

Fleener

Wrist rest for LR/MT shooting. Browsing an OLD Buff Catalogue No.23/24 Page 55 there was just what you are looking for. A bit long ago so I don't know if they are still about..
OLD DOG

How about a cheek riser/rest “ leather “ no Velcro , either has to be buckles or laces and 1 1/2 “. “minimum “ on the riser height?
I have been looking at the RLO - Ron Lowe leather which might work but they say they only go up to 1.5 inches but I haven’t called them yet.
I saw a picture of a guy shooting LR that had one with buckles and a piece of wood in between the stock comb and the top leather piece that looked like a good idea so you could use different sizes of wood dowl?
Any thought?

The rest in post #9 looks like an old Caldwell (Midway) rest I had (have?). All plastic, lots of slop between parts. Once you got it where you want the height you'd have to tighten up the set screw to take the wiggle out of it.

Yes, I have one. It is very light and does not hold position between shots. I cured that by taping one pound lead ingots into the bottom spaces in the molded legs. Works. But if in the market I would spend more and get a real rest.

Powder Trickle

I made my own check rest that I use for 500 yards to 1,000 yards. Two different heights. Both made with leather and leather spacers that are sewn on. I use two brass buckles and leather straps to hold it on.

Currently in TX for work and no access to send pictures. IF you want some pictures, remind me in a few days to post some once I get home.

I really like mine, they stay in place, provide a solid check rest and quick and easy to take off and put on.

Fleener

Fleener,
Yours sounds like just what I'm looking for attached is the picture I was trying to describe ( you might know the shooter ? ) I'm thinking along these lines ? I will remind you maybe after the new year for some pictures .
Have a Merry Christmas

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 95
I might know the shooter. That ugly mug is mine!

That is my Rigby LRML made in 1864.

Originally bought by a guy that was on the Irish team with Rigby as Captain.

Fleener.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG ! LMAO !
What are the chances of that ? I'll bet I have looked at hundreds of check rests, and with the no velcro, etc. and then trying to find a cheek rest that goes high enough we are very limited. And that rifle being an original Rigby makes it even better wow what history that rifle has !! ( how does it shoot for an original? )
I think that cheek rest is brilliant and I really like the idea of being able to insert different size cheek inserts your looks to be wood ? If and when you have time send me some more pictures of your cheek rest I would very much appreciate it.

My first addition I had different inserts of leather stacks. It worked, but was not ideal. It was a lace up and took way too much time to lace it up. I made two of these and really do like them. Two different heights of stacked leather. The leather stacks are sewn together and to the leather outside. The shorter of two is for 500 and 600 yards, the other for 900 and 1,000 yards.

I will get you some pictures hopfully soon. I was in TX for work this week, and it was a 16 hour day trying to get home yesterday. Busy day today with stuff as well.

If I dont get you some pictures soon, dont hesitate to remind me.

Fleener

The matches in Phoenix this coming March are all open to muzzle loader or cartridge rifle, altho, trying to shoot muzzleloader in the silhouette, may leave some animals on the rail after the buzzer
Is it this coming March in 2020 ? There is the nationals this coming March at Ben Avery March 6,7, and 8th that is the match for MR day 1 , LR day 2 and then 1,000 yard team on day 3, and then 3 days of 1,000 yard only for the Breech Loaders ? I hope both matches are not in March because I don't think I could make both ?

Here are the two that I made. Coated with a mixture of heated bees wax and neats foot oil. Stacks of leather contact cement together, and a single row of stitching holding everything together. I drilled holes through the stacks of leather to be able to sew it. I do like both of them and dont know that I would change anything.

Just in case it is not obvious, make sure the buckles and straps are on the other side of the stock then your face.

Fleener

check1.jpg
check2.jpg
check3.jpg
check4.jpg
check5.jpg
check6.jpg
check7.jpg

Attachments

• check8.jpg
    check8.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 52
  • check8.jpg
    check8.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 41
Fleener thank you for taking the time to send these to me. I’m not just saying this because I have several ( cheek rests) this is the best one I have ever seen for our type of shooting and the more I look the more I like it with the stacked leather and then having the straps that tighten on top of the stacked leather. I’ll have to tell you sometime how Iong it took me to find a cheek rest that really is the way to go! I suck at working with leather but if you don’t mind I would sure like to try and figure something out for myself. Probably take me 3 cows worth of leather to get one made:doh:.or better yet take it to the saddle guy down the road I do live in Colorado :horseback:
Thank you fleener!

WOW!!!I rely like it!. thanks for shrining with us! who would ever thought??

Back