• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

front site will not stay put

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, my lil spot of glue just aint holding, some one have a good way to keep my front site from shifting ? for good !
its a GPR stock site, come with the kit.
Thanks
Ron

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gifHarpman take the sight out of the barrel and with a small prick punch interupt the edge of the dovetail right on the edgeit won't be seen once its back in the dovetail and it shouldn't work loose
weasel

Others more qualified than I will probably respond. However, for what's it worth , dimple the base of the slot on the barrel with a punch. Be careful, don't whack it to hard. I've tried it and it works. Read about it somewhere - probably ML or MB magazine.
Though for the day- On the other hand, you have different fingers ::

In addition to nicking the two edges of the dovetail in the barrel, while you have the sight out, if you take an OLD screwdriver or small chisel and place it on the sharp point of the sight dovetail right about in the middle.
Take a small hammer and give the tool a light tap. This will create a burr where the tool punched it.
Turn the sight over and do it again to the opposite side of the dovetail.
This burr will interfere with the barrel dovetail and hold the sight in position.

If you don't have a old screwdriver and hammer, a set of Vise Grips or equal have knurled teeth on the jaws. These can also be used to create the burrs or bumps in the sharp edges of the sight dovetail by placing the sight dovetail perpendicular to the teeth and giving it a hard squeeze.

I have had good success shimming loose dovetails with brass stock. The legs from brass paper fasteners are perfect. If you're under 35 years old you won't have any idea what these are. A strip cut from a soda can would probably work as well. (Beechwood Casey sells both aluminum and brass black if you want to make it blend in , but if you cut it without excess material it is almost invisible anyway.

Don't know what kind of comments I'll get from this new-fangeled way of fixen your problem, but after roughing up the dovetail in the barrel, and roughing up the base of the sight, and cleaning them both with a little bit of alcohol, try using some Locktite. You would probably want the semi-permanant stuff, and if it just has to be removed later, it can be broken down with heat. You used a propane torch to
heat the barrel to brown it in the first place didn't you?
Or epoxy might do the same thing better, but any excess wouldn't wipe off as easily as Locktite.

Back