• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Front sights?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used chalk to whiten a black sight when conditions made a light colored front sight easier to see. Some have used the white typing correction fluid, Whiteout" for the same purpose. I was sighting in a rifle with a brass blade a couple of weeks ago and it was hard for me to see. I grabbed a black marker out of the range box and darkened the blade to make it more visible. I like a brass or silver on a original looking rifle. Having said that I have a TC Hawken that has a partridge style front blade and I really like it. It seems to work well with my older eyes.

for looks and most shootin' conditions I like a medium thin silver blade with the brass or copper base such as Track sells. for best aimin' in all light conditions I like a red fiber-optic front sight combined with a tang-mounted peep on the rear.

Neither silver nor brass for me. I prefer a relatively thick steel blade that I color with fluorescent yellow paint. It shows up best on deer in early morning subdued light.

Iron. No colors. 'Course I kilt a brown gate that was in the way. .54 vs 1" pipe at 65 yds. Shiny stuff on the sight wouldn't have mad the brown pipe show up.
TC

The front sight shown below is on my super accurate squirrel LR and the blade is .100 thick w/ a silver insert. I shows up nicely even in dim light.....Fred

My #1 'go to' favorite rifle has a silver blade but it is difficult to use in bright light. I keep it darkened with black felt tip pen.
My personal preference is a partridge type black. Not proper for all styles of rifle but if you/we are talking best for sighting, I favor it. The thick black blade provides good contrast even in low light against a black bull or Bambi until total darkness.

Back