• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front sight soldering

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I braze mine on With brass welding sticks and a jewlers torch. Solder paste is fine but will break down over time. High Alloy sliver solder sweat on generally works best.

Attachments

• E84CAE5F-2B68-4F4D-AA94-6F98291B386A.jpeg
    E84CAE5F-2B68-4F4D-AA94-6F98291B386A.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 83
  • BB14A14E-A2AD-4321-A8E4-AEFCD0FF88C1.jpeg
    BB14A14E-A2AD-4321-A8E4-AEFCD0FF88C1.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 80
I took a leap and soldered the front sight on. First time soldering with a torch. I have some more sandpaper clean up but I got it on where I wanted it. Another step forward.

I took a leap and soldered the front sight on my fowler. It was my first time to solder with a torch. It wasn’t a pretty project. I tried clamping and it kept slipping. I ended up holding it in place with hemostats in one hand and torch in the other. I have some more sandpaper clean up to do, but I got it where I want it. Another step closer. D
5E4BBAE1-B3CF-44B1-976A-0465726B111B.jpeg

Hi...utilize a high temp silver solder, 1/32 breadth. You need the proper motion for it, regularly a glue motion, not fluid. For best outcomes, the slide and sight ought to be globule impacted. Utilize an oxy/acetelyn light, little tip. Apply the weld from within the slide, and let it stream to the outside. It's a lot simpler to clean that way. Heat up the slide in clean water for around 15 to 20 minutes to disolve the motion.

I made a fixture to hold the front sight in place. I did this by welding a piece of 1/4 inch angle iron on a small C clamp. I also filed a V groove in the piece attached to the screw. The Vs tend to grab on round surfaces and can be used with either the angle iron or the part attached to the screw to hold the sight in place. Which ever way works.

Back