• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Front Sight on Lyman GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't *think* this is a big issue, but is there a way to fix it easily? The portion of the front sight extending toward the muzzle looks good, but the rear portion has a gap between it and the barrel.
LymanGPR_FrontSight.jpg

I would not worry about it, if you mess with it you could end up breaking it off.

No, easy fix that is good. To get the sight down to the barrel the sight can be removed and the bottom of the dove on it could be flattened then it will be a loose fit. The edge of the barrel dove tail could be tapped down to tighten the fit. Careful work will make it presentable.

Maybe buy a replacement from Lyman or a supplier like Track of the Wolf or Brownell. Then ask about correct side to drive it out and how to fit a new one. Fit the sight, not the barrel.

I agree with phil that is likely made of two pieces and bending or shaping might break it.
I dont agree with Jim, although, I would not be so bold as to say that is wrong, only that it would be over my pay grade. Way over.

If it's the original Lyman front sight, it's a one piece casting. If you have not done it yet, shoulder the rifle with the rear sight installed and check out the sight picture. You may or may not decide the front sight is too thick. When you go to shoot it, you will also discover that it's way too tall.

So, all in all it might be simpler to replace it with a better fit.

You could peen the sight base to be the correct thickness for the barrel dovetail. Put the sight between two flat pieces of steel and clamp securely in the vice. The flat pieces are swage blocks so they need to be smooth and square. Peene the base wider and thinner against the blocks. After, you will need to re fit the sight to the barrel.

It is a pretty tricky job that requires experience or luck to make look good.

I don't *think* this is a big issue, but is there a way to fix it easily? The portion of the front sight extending toward the muzzle looks good, but the rear portion has a gap between it and the barrel.
View attachment 30805
Easy fix. Remove the sight making sure you are driving it out the correct side. Trim the base shaped similar to my sketch with a radius file. Stay away from the rear edge so you don't shorten the width of the base. With the base thinned in that area you should be able to use a a 1/4" punch to peen it down. The void should compensate for the rear edge to fold forward, but still keep the sight tight. This will not be a one time shot, unless you are familiar with this type of correction. If you take it slow and are willing to fiddle with it, that will get you down and pretty. I agree, it is ugly, but it is functional as is.
Let us know when you get it fixed.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸
Scan.jpeg

Back