• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Frizzen??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Feathers

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hiwdy folks:
I didn't know where to post this for sure, so I took a chance on here?
I built a Traditions St. Louis Hawken in .50 cal flint for my Doctor a few years back. At my appointment yesterday he told me his frizzen isn't sparking any more, even with new flints. I suggested a new frizzen? Much to my surprise, it appears the Traditions made two different sized frizzens for that rifle? I don't have the rifle so I have no idea which/ or which size he needs? Can anyone help. I'm looking for the frizzen? anyone have one? I can't even remember when I made it? I think it was about 4 or 5 years ago?
Thanks for whatever help anyone can be.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Part number A1721 .................. page 2 letter R part number 70507 in the schematic The A1721 is the 5/8 wide the other on the web is 7/8 wider for new models TOW , DEER CREEK , DIXI GUN , EBAY sometimes Traditions has them in stock get a spare touch hole liner as a spare part number A1735

Do not buy A1722 it's too big

Attachments

• Hawken Rifles_1365523276.pdf
    167.9 KB · Views: 0
Part number A1721 .................. page 2 letter R part number 70507 in the schematic The A1721 is the 5/8 wide the other on the web is 7/8 wider for new models TOW , DEER CREEK , DIXI GUN , EBAY sometimes Traditions has them in stock get a spare touch hole liner as a spare part number A1735

Do not buy A1722 it's too big
colimr:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!
I appreciate your efforts.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I built a Traditions St. Louis Hawken in .50 cal flint for my Doctor a few years back. At my appointment yesterday he told me his frizzen isn't sparking any more, even with new flints. I suggested a new frizzen?

Well won't this be repeated in a few years then?
He could have his frizzen heated and then Cherry Red applied to the face of the frizzen as per directions, and then quenched.

LD

Well won't this be repeated in a few years then?
He could have his frizzen heated and then Cherry Red applied to the face of the frizzen as per directions, and then quenched.

LD
LD
Thanks, but I can't imagine this "Cherry Red" stuff being much cheaper than a new frizzen, plus you have the mess and issues of it possibly not turning out hard which would lead me right back to buying a new frizzen. I have my forge, so I can do it. I just opted to go with a new frizzen to avoid issues
I guess Cherry Red is like our old Kasenit? It just case hardens a few thousandths deep?

I was just doing some "research" on this Cherry Red stuff, and here's a page with a couple of disturbing comments about it. Has anyone had experience with Cherry Red hardening compound?
It sounds like more work than it's worth? PLUS the possibility of ruining my forge?
I appreciate your input though Dave.
As always, thank you for it.
God bless:
Two Feathers

If you want to experiment with the old frizzen, Track of the wolf sells Tru-spark a compound like Cherry Red for surface hardening for $14.00 not a long term fix but something the Dr could do with a mapp torch when the frizzen wears. you tube has videos about the process . I have a new frizzen as a spare and bought the Tru- spark to try when my current frizzen wears out always good to have options especially if new isn't available

If you want to experiment with the old frizzen, Track of the wolf sells Tru-spark a compound like Cherry Red for surface hardening for $14.00 not a long term fix but something the Dr could do with a mapp torch when the frizzen wears. you tube has videos about the process . I have a new frizzen as a spare and bought the Tru- spark to try when my current frizzen wears out always good to have options especially if new isn't available
colimr:
Thank you. Do you have a link to this stuff?
Can it be done in my forge? I did Kasenit case hardening a loooong time ago, and as I recall it was just heat the steel red hot and dunk it in the compound? Have YOU ever tried it?
Just wondering?
Two Feathers

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/366/1/TRU-SPARK-4
No haven't tried it yet my original frizzen sparks fine .I had a member here rework a bad frizzen for me on another gun that's when I started researching Tru-spark on you tube it seems easy just a mapp torch and a way to hold the frizzen while heating for $14.00 what do I have to loose I like being able to fix things when I can
colimr:
Thank you. I'm a cheapskate by nature, so I'm right there with you.:~)))) I'd much rather fork out 14 bucks for Tru-spark, than 50 + for a new frizzen.
God bless:
Two Feathers

What often happens is that while you add some carbon to the surface of the frizzen, you also harden up the frizzen a bit.

I still have Kasenit, and I always put the frizzen face up on the fuel be coal or simple hardwood charcoal, and heat it up to the right color, and then apply the Kasenit and allow this to cook. Cherry Red was developed because the Kasenit was discontinued.

You could simply heat up the old frizzen and reharden it.

LD

What often happens is that while you add some carbon to the surface of the frizzen, you also harden up the frizzen a bit.

I still have Kasenit, and I always put the frizzen face up on the fuel be coal or simple hardwood charcoal, and heat it up to the right color, and then apply the Kasenit and allow this to cook. Cherry Red was developed because the Kasenit was discontinued.

You could simply heat up the old frizzen and reharden it.

LD
Dave:
Yeah...I was wondering if I could do just that, without all the added case hardening compounds? I considered re-hardening the original frzzen, but then I didn't know if there was enough carbon in it or not? I was concerned that the frizzens used my Traditions may be only surface hardened with a case hardening compound and NOT contain enough carbon to actually harden? Thanks for letting m know. I'm out of my element here.:~))) I can harden knives, screwdrivers, and flint strikers, but frizzens are a whole new ball game?
Thanks again:
Two Feathers

Latest posts

Back