• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen spring clamp

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
If you have a clamp for holding and removing a frizzen spring would you post a photo and comments about it. My main spring clamp is to large and it’s about time I had one.
Thanks

I have a tool that I bought years ago. Looks like it is made out of a piece of 3/16 rod. It has a hook on one end . I will try to post a picture as soon as I find it. Finding it is the easy part, posting a picture is another story.

Here's a couple of frizzen spring clamp photos I've collected over the years:
Frizzen_Spring_Tool.jpg

frizzen spring vise.JPG
spring vise-frizzen2.jpg

Hope these help you Phil.
Mike

Most will have a cow over what I have been using for the last 10 years with dozens of spring removals without any problems. I can set these to barely compress the spring enough to remove the frizzen, I pad the spring top and bottom with leather.

I should add; these don't go on my main springs, I use a proper spring vise on them.

100_6849.JPG

Last edited:
Holy bat manure! After all the nice things I’ve thought of you now I learn the truth. I’ll have to block you and retract all them likes I gave you. But on the other hand I might cut the jaws of a small pair and glue in some pads for an adjustable set, that makes it my own design and then I can over look this transgression. I better go nurse my calf now. :)

Holy bat manure! After all the nice things I’ve thought of you now I learn the truth. I’ll have to block you and retract all them likes I gave you. But on the other hand I might cut the jaws of a small pair and glue in some pads for an adjustable set, that makes it my own design and then I can over look this transgression. I better go nurse my calf now. :)
Are you upset because he uses leather instead of lead in the jaws? I am a leatherman myself......😁

I'm not a fan of the vise grip method but if it works for you then go ahead and use them. I think they are overkill for a little frizzen spring:dunno::ghostly:. I think the little scissor style is a good one - I think I will make one. I've been using my mainspring vise for this job.

I use the tiny, narrow jaw vice grips. Never had a problem: work the frizzen so that it holds the spring at it's greatest compression. Set the vice grip jaws so that it barelymoves the spring beyond that. The frizzen should then be freed, you can carefully remove the spring, leaving the grip on it until you put it back on (unless you are putting it away for long time).

Back