• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Frizzen query

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just got my order from TOTW in. One of the items I purchased was a spare frizzen for my Chambers Virginia lock. I was surprised that there was a small rectangle of metal on the bottom. Do all frizzes come this way? Kinda disappointed I have to file this off as well as drill a hole for the frizzen screw.
49325B35-DE58-49BE-8BB7-EAE37E81CFBB.jpeg
4337C413-1F5D-4F96-87CC-A8439D7BBA8C.jpeg

Yes better quality parts come as cast so they can be fitted to the lock. Be forewarned that you can’t mearly file, drill and have it done. There’s skill and technical knowledge involved.

Frizzens have to be fitted to the lock. As far as I know(which could be limited info ;) ) most are sold soft to allow fitting.
Hi thanks for the reply
I understand it’s soft and requires tempering. I’m just a little surprised at how much I’ll have to dress it before tempering. I thought a spare part for a fairly common lock wouldnt require much tinkering. I’d have imagined it was standard sizing like buying a spare tractor part. Still doesn’t explain the useless block of steel on the heel of the frizzen.

The rectangle is a casting gate. The as cast frizzen won't be hardened. You will have to harden the frizzen after it is fit to your lock. I would have been inclined to call Chambers to see if they would fit the replacement frizzen and do the hardening.
Ahh a casting gate. Makes sense now. TY.

Yes better quality parts come as cast so they can be fitted to the lock. Be forewarned that you can’t mearly file, drill and have it done. There’s skill and technical knowledge involved.
Darn it. Looks like I have some YouTubing in my future.
The current frizzen on my lock has lots of life ahead thank god. I’m just starting to acquire, or hoard, spare parts because they ain’t gonna get cheaper in the years ahead.

Best way to drill the hole for the frizzen is to super glue it in place. Then drill your hole using the existing holes as your jig guide for the bit. A little bit of heat with the torch will pop it off the lock so you can go on your merry way.

A note on that is that you don't have to drill the hole completely through. In fact, don't, or you will mess up the threads on the interior part. Just get it reasonably started so your bit will find the hole comfortably enough when you go to finishing the job of drilling completely through.

When installing a new frizzen. I ensure that the pan and frizzen surfaces are flat and mate up and then clamp the 2 together for drilling the hole.

I used a section of heavy pipe w/ an end cap screwed on that has some drilled holes. The frizzen is wired through the pivot hole, laid in the pipe and heated w/ a Mapp Gas torch until an orange-red color is reached and then quenched in 10 W 30 motor oil. The frizzen is then tempered in the oven of my kitchen stove at 375 degrees. for 30 mins. Previously the oven temps were checked w/ a thermal bridge and were found to be as set. Using the section of pipe ensures that the frizzen is uniformly heated. The striking section of the frizzen is stuck in an apple and the toe and pivot hole area is heated to a bright blue color w/ the Mapp Gas torch. Have done a few as described above and they were all good sparkers......Fred

Last edited:
if by chance it is hardened, a file will not touch it. it will have to be ground down on an abrasive wheel. if soft use CASEINITE, to harden it, and drill the hole with a diamond or tungsten drill bit. jmho.

Back