• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Frizzen not opening

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to a shoot Sunday with my Tip Curtis .36 flintlock. 15 shots for record and I noticed after about 10 shots my frizzen was not fully opening. The shot would still go, but the frizzen would be resting on top of the flint. I know it was not flipping open and slamming back. After cleaning and readjusting the flint, it would open as advertised. Was it just fouled, flint not situated correctly or weak cock spring? What say you?
Thanks and God bless,
Rodd

Change too a new flint and see what happens. Also sounds like the flint could of been too far back in the cock as you mentioned with the re-adjusting.

Had that problem with my Navy Arms Charleville. I took the lock apart and cleaned everything really well, then found the frizzen was rubbing the barrel, so I filed that down slightly, but still had the problem. Went back to basics, put in a different flint, polished the frizzen spring and point of contact on the frizzen (what I call the heel), then oiled the heel and frizzen srping. Works like a charm now.

I would clean the area and oil it before moving on to anything mechanical. If that doesn’t work then you could have an issue with the either a weak mainspring or a frizzen spring that’s too strong.

Eventually (after MANY shots) you can have the same problem when the hole through the frizzen begins to wallow out. I had to line mine with a piece of brass tubing many years ago. Haven't needed to replace that, but no longer shoot several thousand rounds a year with it. Mostly a few practice shots, and one shot during hunting season now.

Had a similar issue during a woods walk shoot. After about ten shots, the frizzen would not flip open all the way. Same as you described. Found the point of contact of the frizzen heel and spring had no lubrication. A drop of oil and it went back to functioning perfectly. Friction was the enemy. Now, when done cleaning my flintlocks after shooting, the last thing I do is lube that contact point. No more issues.

ADK Bigfoot

It won't be a hard fix. Just start with the flint position, and if that's okay then got to the next step and so on.

Next time that you take the lock apart for cleaning, before replacing the frizzen, apply some lubrication to the frizzen screw and do not over tighten that screw. You might be binding the frizzen ever so slightly. Just a dab of lube on the frizzen spring where the foot rides too.

I went to a shoot Sunday with my Tip Curtis .36 flintlock. 15 shots for record and I noticed after about 10 shots my frizzen was not fully opening. The shot would still go, but the frizzen would be resting on top of the flint. I know it was not flipping open and slamming back. After cleaning and readjusting the flint, it would open as advertised. Was it just fouled, flint not situated correctly or weak cock spring? What say you?
Thanks and God bless,
Rodd
Put a bit of oil on the frizzen spring contact point. Also, clean the lock each time you use it! And oil the mainspring contact points and sear for smooth, crisp action.

Back