• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen hardness question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s no more casenit in the market, most case hardening powders by Cherry Red (has no carbon in it) and Brownells are not very effective on things other than screws.

Track of the Wolf’s hardening compound is pretty good for frizzens, that’s what I use.

The Rifle Shoppe Owner recommended peach Pitt charcol For case hardening as peaches contain natural cyanide. This would be done of course in a case or pack.
These powder hardening compounds give a very shallow layer of hardening. If you treat the steel with it, and it lasts and lasts and keeps lasting, you did not need to do the powder treatment, you had good steel to start with. The powder just gave it a bump start.

These powder hardening compounds give a very shallow layer of hardening. If you treat the steel with it, and it lasts and lasts and keeps lasting, you did not need to do the powder treatment, you had good steel to start with. The powder just gave it a bump start.

Good point, most frizzens today are made of 6150 steel.

Most folks seem to really think when the lock isn’t sparking its the frizzen hardness. When the problem is where the flint strkes the steel.

Hi,
Did anybody in this thread just recommend tempering? Of course the steel must be hardened first! anyway, Bob Roller wrote me that he heated his frizzens to a straw color after hardening, which would produce an RC hardness of 60+. .

dave
Don't know that any one recommended just tempering. But I have seen plenty of remarks, not so much here, but certainly on other forums about just tempering. One poor guy tried to temper his worn out TC frizzen and said he tried heating it 4 or 5 times and it wouldn't stay hard.

Who told you that? Of course 1095 can be investment cast.

dave

why don’t foundries use 1095 more often ? Most of the steel I’ve been quoted for casting is either in 8620, 4140 or 6150 (quantity limitations).

I’ve only been able to get 1095 in sheets or rod stock, same with 1070 and 1080.

Hi,
Kibler's cast frizzens are 1095. Where lower carbon is OK, those other alloys have other properties that facilitate casting better than 1095 but for frizzens that are through hardened, the higher carbon content is better.

dave

Hi,
Kibler's cast frizzens are 1095. Where lower carbon is OK, those other alloys have other properties that facilitate casting better than 1095 but for frizzens that are through hardened, the higher carbon content is better.

dave

Hopefully this isn’t a dumb question.

Is there any truth that folks used to purchase depleted uranium and have it riveted to their frizzens ? This was going around social media.

In the commercial absence of Kasenite, I have made & used my own mix.
Basically potassium ferrocyanide mixed with actual wood or bone charcoal. Spelling may be important to your health, the chemical should be ferrocyanide. K4Fe(CN)6 Wash your hands after using the stuff, it might not be all that harmless.

Real bone charcoal contains tri-calcium phosphate. This chemical does two things. First, it speeds up the case-hardening process so that it actually happens. Second, calcium phosphate is what is responsible for "case colors". Don't worry about getting any pretty colors here. This is just a matter of hardening your frizzen.

If you want real good "case colors" read, then study, the two-part article by Oscar L. Gaddy in The Double Gun Journal. Part 1 Winter 1996, and Part II Spring 1997.

I use the kitchen oven to temper. One hour and let cool down in oven.

Hopefully this isn’t a dumb question.

Is there any truth that folks used to purchase depleted uranium and have it riveted to their frizzens ? This was going around social media.

Yep I had one on a 12 ga trade gun that some idiot chopped off to a 30 inch barrel. I got it in a trade with some other stuff. The gun went off like lightening had been funneled into the pan. Sparks would dance and sizzle around in the pan for s couple seconds before going out. I swapped that gun off for something I wanted more. Last I heard, a fellow that worked for Ft Chambers gun shop had it, but that was 20 years ago.

Yep I had one on a 12 ga trade gun that some idiot chopped off to a 30 inch barrel. I got it in a trade with some other stuff. The gun went off like lightening had been funneled into the pan. Sparks would dance and sizzle around in the pan for s couple seconds before going out. I swapped that gun off for something I wanted more. Last I heard, a fellow that worked for Ft Chambers gun shop had it, but that was 20 years ago.

Wow ,.. is it safe ? Do you need lead covering your body ? (Sarcasm)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back