• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Frizzen fit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Apparently, the manufacturer badly screwed up drilling the hole for the frizzen. You will have a very hard time fixing this. Hopefully, Lyman will replace it with a lock properly made. The best fix for this would involve annealing the frizzen and then drilling a slightly larger hole through the frizzen and either the pan bridle or lock plate depending on which has the threads for the screw (I cannot tell from your photos). In the process, the frizzen is clamped on the pan with a paper thin metal shim propping up the back of the frizzen against the fence. The large hole is drilled but the threaded section is not drilled. Then you need to make a screw with larger diameter to fit precisely through the larger hole in the frizzen but fits the threads whichever side (pan bridle or lock plate) they are in. Then you have to harden and temper the frizzen. You may be able to avoid that process if you can file down the front of the pan enough to allow the back of the frizzen to lower onto the pan. However, the fit looks so bad that it might require a lot of filing.

dave

I wouldn't expect much help from Lyman, but its worth taking the time to call them. You might get the its normal for cast parts to have that gap and it doesn't hurt performance other than keeping priming in the pan while moving while hunting. Use the analysis of @dave_person to propose that the defect is that the hole for the axle of the frizzen is not located correctly.

It fits so badly that I'm pretty sure that the priming powder would dribble out if the rifle were held sideways. Lets see what Lyman has to say I'll let you guys know after I talk to them today.

Well trying to get ahold of Lyman it was a exercise in futility. Started with a message about being under staffed and working from home, gave me four extensions to call and couldn't get anyone to answer on all four.

There is a repair/warranty place here in the U.S. that does warranty work for Lyman and right off I cannot remember the name. You might do a Goolge search to find it..

For some reason I think it may be Dixon's.

Put the dremel back in the box. Use the small files instead.

Good advice in just about every situation

I wouldn't expect much help from Lyman, but its worth taking the time to call them.

I don't know about that. I've know several blokes who had problems with their Lyman BP rifles and Lyman rectified each case. What can you lose? If they send you a lock with the same problem you're no "worse" off.

It might some months due do COVID, but I'd send them an email with a photo (try one with a little less brightness in the back lighting) and tell them you ARE sending it back....

LD

There is a repair/warranty place here in the U.S. that does warranty work for Lyman and right off I cannot remember the name. You might do a Goolge search to find it..

For some reason I think it may be Dixon's.

You have to go through customer service to get any warranty work approved. Even their email address is shut down.
I'll try again later today and see if I can get through.

Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton, Pa. is an authorized repair shop for Lyman and he sells them.. Greg is the owner and a great guy to deal with. His phone number is 610-756-6271 and their address is 9952 Kunkels Mill Rd., Kempton, Pa. 19529. I have been dealing there since early 2000. He will tell you what to do. Tell him you can't get any response from Lyman.

Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop in Kempton, Pa. is an authorized repair shop for Lyman and he sells them.. Greg is the owner and a great guy to deal with. His phone number is 610-756-6271 and their address is 9952 Kunkels Mill Rd., Kempton, Pa. 19529. I have been dealing there since early 2000. He will tell you what to do. Tell him you can't get any response from Lyman.
Just talked to them and they told me to send the lock to them and they will repair it and get it back to me.
Thanks much for the info.

Yes Dixon's will take care of you,I know of a lot of guys who were having there sling stud pull out on there Deerstalker send them straight to Dixon's and they got fixed, even older Deerstalker that were used when they bought them.
Let us know how everything works out for you.

I
Yes Dixon's will take care of you,I know of a lot of guys who were having there sling stud pull out on there Deerstalker send them straight to Dixon's and they got fixed, even older Deerstalker that were used when they bought them.
Let us know how everything works out for you.
I'll let you know how this all works out. Dixons asked me not to send the lock until after Jan. 22nd because they have something going on and didn't want mail piling up.

I

I'll let you know how this all works out. Dixons asked me not to send the lock until after Jan. 22nd because they have something going on and didn't want mail piling up.
Yeah Dixon’s is who Lyman had me send my broken lock to. They sent me a brand new one right back after they looked at mine.

They should definitely be the source for someone wantin to buy a Lyman new also with that kind of service.Even if they ship it to you.

Very good deal that Dixons will help you out.
I was in their shop a week before Christmas and his inventory was pretty low due to the plague disrupting things, and demand.

Heck I'm going on the hunt for some bunged up locks to try my idea of a Dremel (actually what I have is a Fordom motor and flex shaft) and flex wheel to slowly grind down near the hinge to make the frizzen level out. I'm not sure a swiss file would be the best tool for the job especially if the pan is hard.
I think the spotting black and flex wheel would be a good combination for this fix but time will tell.

Latest posts

Back