• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Frizzen back finishing?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birddog1911

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I'm cleaning up my Kibler Ketland, getting ready to put it all together. One thing I haven't been able to do is finish the back of the frizzen.

It comes hardened, but still shows the marks and dull finish. Is there anyway to clean it up without having to anneal the frizzen, and go through all of that?

What have you Kibler guys done with yours?

On eBay you can find inexpensive diamond file sets. It’s worthwhile to buy a set made up of flat files with different grits and a set that are like needle files. These are great for really hard steel. After filing to get surfaces flat and free of pits I switch to abrasive papers backed by files.

Are you talking about the strike face or the back?
The back of the frizzen, not the strike face.
On eBay you can find inexpensive diamond file sets. It’s worthwhile to buy a set made up of flat files with different grits and a set that are like needle files. These are great for really hard steel. After filing to get surfaces flat and free of pits I switch to abrasive papers backed by files.
I actually do have a set of those, so I'll try them.

I'm a little surprised by how deep those...casting pits?...are. Those may take a little time.

Attachments

• 20221125_205625.jpg
    20221125_205625.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 0
Back