• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fried Quoits!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of Camp Biscuits, here's something that's quite tasty for breakfast... similar to a donut...,

Fried Quoits
Make dough as for a biscuit.

Plant a stick slanting in the ground near the fire. Have another small, clean stick ready, and a frying pan of lard or butter heated sissing hot. There must be enough grease in the pan to drown the quoits. Take dough the size of a small hen's egg, flatten it between the hands, make a hole in the center like a doughnut, and quickly work it (the dough not the hole) into a flat ring of about two inches inside diameter. Drop it flat into the hot grease, turn almost immediately, and in a few seconds it will be cooked.
When all of a light brown color, fish it out with your little stick and hang it on the slanting one before the fire to keep hot.
Horace Kephart 1919

You can try this out with the store-bought biscuits that you pop open against the edge of the counter, just make a hole in the center of the biscuit, and fry it up in a pan of grease. It works and they are tasty, especially with some powdered sugar dusted on them.

LD

Last edited:
version of a "long John" without the frosting.
We don't frost "long johns" over here....., nor do we fry nor bake them......we wear them....
Long Johns.jpg

LD

Ya don't know what you're missing. A Long John is a mighty fine donut.

Perhaps they call them éclairs or berliners in Baaawston. :D

Fry bread is just a bigger flatter version of a "long John" without the frosting.
I grew up on the edge of the Navajo reservation. About a third of our school was Navajo. We had lots of res food in our cafeteria. We had a fair amount of Basque kids too. So we had lots of mutton and lamb. About twice a week we had fry bread, and it was just fried biscuits dough rolled flat, cut in squares and deep fried. Every pow wow I’ve ever been to it was the same. And the very best Navajo tacos was served at the Nava-Hopi kitchen in Tuba City.and that was on biscuit dough.

I grew up on the edge of the Navajo reservation. About a third of our school was Navajo. We had lots of res food in our cafeteria. We had a fair amount of Basque kids too. So we had lots of mutton and lamb. About twice a week we had fry bread, and it was just fried biscuits dough rolled flat, cut in squares and deep fried. Every pow wow I’ve ever been to it was the same. And the very best Navajo tacos was served at the Nava-Hopi kitchen in Tuba City.and that was on biscuit dough.

I meant the typical modern rendezvous tourist fare fried and tossed in cinnamon sugar.

I meant the typical modern rendezvous tourist fare fried and tossed in cinnamon sugar.
Fry bread was made from the meager rations of flour and lard/fat given to the natives forced onto reservations. Not certain why (some) native cultures glorify a food representative of oppression, famine and death? As a non-native, I feel it insults and demeans the memory of proud nations/peoples.

On the other hand, a fried yeasted dough can be a delight...

Last edited:
Fry bread was made from the meager rations of flour and lard/fat given to the natives forced onto reservations. Not certain why (some) native cultures glorify a food representative of oppression, famine and death? As a non-native, I feel it insults and demeans the memory of proud nations/peoples.

The "duality of life".

Don't even ask over here for a "digestive" biscuit, unless you're in an "international store" that carries British products. :D

LD

Oh, you want a digestive biscuit do ya ?

An Abernethy biscuit, or Bath Oliver's. There's a story on it's own.

Abernethy Biscuits. (Dr. Abernethy's Original Recipe.)
1 quart of milk, 6 eggs, 8 ozs. of sugar, ½ oz. of caraway seeds, with flour sufficient to make the whole of the required consistency. They are generally weighed off at 2 ozs. each, moulded up, pinned and docked, and baked in a moderate oven.
Note. The heat of an oven is not required so strong for biscuits containing sugar, as it causes them to take more color in less time.

The original receipt for Dr. Oliver's Biscuits.

Take two pounds of flour, put one spoonful of yeast in a little warm milk & mix it in a little flour, let it stand to rise for a quarter of an hour, them melt a quarter of a pound of butter in milk enough to make it into a stiff paste, roll them out & bake them in a slow oven. The above quantity will make two doz.n Put them to rise one hour before you bake them - The above Paste makes very good cakes for breakfast four to a pound.

The Jews celebrate the founding of their culture by eating plain unleavened made for a fevered rush as they fled slavery. Pepperpot was a food first made from a lack of good food. Soul food and even southern barbaque owls it’s roots to slavery. As ribs and poor cuts of meat were considered unfit for ‘the big house’. Even chille and haggis were a way of making offal fit to eat.

My mother made real cake donuts on occasion. Life was good.:D
There is absolutely nothing REAL about "CAKE" doughnuts. They may be circular, but all resemblance to a real doughnut ends there. Doughnuts are raised with yeast, the dough is barely sweet and they are fried. I nearly puke every time I see a sign that advertises "Fresh Baked Doughnuts."

There is absolutely nothing REAL about "CAKE" doughnuts. They may be circular, but all resemblance to a real doughnut ends there. Doughnuts are raised with yeast, the dough is barely sweet and they are fried. I nearly puke every time I see a sign that advertises "Fresh Baked Doughnuts."

That's how I feel about cupcakes.

Latest posts

Back