• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fried Okra Patties

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely correct sir. I grew up in Louisiana and we NEVER ate boiled okra in our house. Fried was the only way my Dad would let my Mom fix it. Those patties do sound pretty good.
If you is a real "CoonAss" you know okra in Gumbo is the way to go, with tomatoes, rice, corn, onyons, mud bugs and all them great spices! YUM YUM!

Old timer here in S.C. told me to fry sliced okra in some butter (olive oil for healthy option) with some tomato, onion and sliced potato. Dash of Tobasco or other hot sauce makes a fine non-slimy dish, as I can attest. As he said, "Tastes so good you'll be hummin' while you're eatin'.

"If you is a real "CoonAss" you know okra in Gumbo is the way to go, with tomatoes, rice, corn, onyons, mud bugs and all them great spices! YUM YUM"

Okra in gumbo, there are 2 camps like chili.

Some folks swear by and some where at beans in chili, same thing with okra in gumbo.

Wife fixes fried okra with shrimp also.

Now let the fight begin.

Man, fried okra and hushpuppies are my spirit food. They are some sort of mystical conduit food that makes anything and cold beer go together like Peas and Carrots......
Yep, spirit food. While a might reside in the beautiful hills of tenneessee, I frequently find myself bumming around the lower Alabama coast. One of my favorite things in life is to go to Lucy Buffet's place (Lulu's) right on the canal separating Gulf Shores and the mainland. When I get there they bring me a huge basket of fried okra and a sweet tea. Then I park it right on the water and spend the next hour or so eating okra and watching the shrimp boats drift by. I love okra and am going to try this recipe for sure.

Yum... definitely gonna be making some of these. The only changes I'll make will be adding a light dose of cayenne powder, and using a minced garlic clove instead of the powder... because I always have whole garlic on hand, and don't have any garlic powder.

My health conscious wife has an oven fried okra recipe which is very good imo. Here's some we pickled this year fresh out of the garden. As a matter of fact, this past weekend I got rid of them because I got tired of cutting okra everyday
20210913_134116.jpg

Ok, I made a batch following this recipe, and it's better than the way I've always done it (which was already pretty darned good). Tks for posting it.

Back