• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fresh look at Crockett pistol accuracy.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have one of these unfired and am thinking of turning the barrel oct to round to reduce muzzle weight along with some other work to it.

I see these are 1-48 twist which seems slow to me. So before I do anything with it, is there any accuracy potential with these things for shooting in club matches?

I don't know the crockett pistol but I have a .45 cal cva Kentucky pistol and at 30 yards with a .445 ball, .018 patch, and 20 grns of 3fg will hold the ten ring really well on a 50 yard slow fire pistol target. Ten ring is probably 3 inches across.

Every gun is difference your results may vary. Next thing is: How good a pistol shot are you?

The most accurate pistol I ever had was cobbled together with various salvaged parts, including a 13/18 ACF 45 caliber rifle barrel cut off. A 32 in 1:48 is not much different. my experience is that a slower twist pistol barrel like that shoots better with a little more powder. Match shooters want fast twists to stabilize the ball better with minimal charges. I would suggest a bit more powder (in the 25 or 30 grain range) for the extra speed to stabilize spin.

I always thought the crockett could be a target gun, with a single set trigger and a lock with a fly.

It's amazing to think that such an inexpensive production pistol could win a national 50 yard match at Friendship.
Did you see that post by Nightwind?
And 1sgt also took another 1st place in a Friendship match.

Last edited:
Don’t think I saw that thread, but maybe I did. They start with a 10 lb trigger pull but it does have a screw for sear engagement. Plan to add a fine spring to load trigger to sear bar.

Don’t think I saw that thread, but maybe I did. They start with a 10 lb trigger pull but it does have a screw for sear engagement. Plan to add a fine spring to load trigger to sear bar.

1sgt said he won the match in post #3 of the 1st thread above.
Nightwind said he won the match in post #6 of the 2nd thread above.

Back