• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frequent misfires with my kentucky pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Confounds me the way folks come up with methods to make this simple hobby complicated."

The answer is simple.

Someone posts here that "only" scalding hot water will clean black powder residue and it becomes gospel. Even more sacred is information from videos found on the internet.

It amazes me some of the gospel that I read and then the Bevel Brothers from Muzzle Blasts post an article dispelling it.

Yeah I think this might be what's going on for me. It manages to set the cap off, but it's more like it snags the edge of the cap, and then slides down it, rather than hit it square.

Where did you get your shim kit?
My rifle was doing exactly the same thing.
Got the kit off Ebay.
It was easy to fix. I watched a video on YouTube on how to disassemble the lock.
You will need a main spring vise if you don't have one.

I was just thinking, if you got a nipple for # 11 caps, you might not have to do any fiddling with the lock.
Yeah it came with a #11 but I can't find #11 caps anywhere. At least not for a minimum order of 1000 for $100. The only local store that sells black powder here always has $10 tins of musket caps though, so I figured I was being smart putting a musket nipple on. Guess not lol

Yeah it came with a #11 but I can't find #11 caps anywhere. At least not for a minimum order of 1000 for $100. The only local store that sells black powder here always has $10 tins of musket caps though, so I figured I was being smart putting a musket nipple on. Guess not lol
Yeah, I gotcha. Sometimes it's not easy to find stuff.
I have to order everything online.
Before I figured out what was going on with my gun, it was misfiring and sometimes it just shredded the cap.

Latest posts

Back