• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French Style Smoothie Done and delivered..PIC HEAVY

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Supercracker and I finished the TOTW kit I started back earlier in the year. This is a gift for a good friend of mine that I delivered last weekend. I learned a lot, and while it isn't 100% HC and there's plenty of imperfections, I'm damn proud of what we accomplished. I want to thank Supercracker for really taking me in and helping me out with this one. It would not have gotten done with out his help.

It started out as the standard TOTW 44" tulle kit...I bungled my way through it until I just couldn't make any further progress for a multitude of reasons. Then he said bring it over and we kept going.

Here's the lock bolts getting ready to be drilled-

248456_3646508332790_1936528067_n.jpg

Here's the management making sure we are staying on task-

622716_3646511012857_727135909_o.jpg

Me inletting the trigger guard-

561598_3650614195434_1547726977_n.jpg

Inletting the trigger guard-

426212_3651970149332_1521532467_n.jpg

229905_3660656166477_724785432_n.jpg

After planing and scraping down the stock some-

644084_3660650126326_709380733_n.jpg

After a lot of work this what she looked like all mocked up-

RS.jpg

LS-1.jpg

Lock.jpg

LwrForend.jpg

UpperForend.jpg

TG.jpg

Tang.jpg

BP.jpg

After 1 coat of LMF-

14214_3777894617365_527635159_n.jpg

After several coats of sealer and a couple coats of finisher this is what she began looking like-

14317_3777891377284_529838844_n.jpg

The finished product (minus the ramrod because I forgot to take that home but it's done now too...LOL)-

177392_3793924698107_655686324_o.jpg

679812_3793927018165_2063609147_o.jpg

It shoots wonderfully. I am very happy with it. My buddy is as well!

IMG_20121109_120002.jpg

Here's a quick video of him slaying a pumpkin after a little lock tuning...

Nice gun and a great post. I never remember to take pictures. You will really appreciate these later.

Keep up the good work and enjoy, J.D.

I like it, I did one of those about ten years ago and it became my favorite and only ML, best shooting smoothy I have ever had, nice job on the gun, if you have not done it, I would put a 2" section of 16 flats between the oct and the wedding band, just a small detail to set it apart from others nothing "required" so to speak. Again nice job, enjoy the gun and the journey.I am assumimg that the wood left along the forstock is much thinner in the finished gun than the in the white photo, these guns were very thin of wood, no biggy either way as most do not know what to look for, yours has enough neat stuff to keep them drooling.

It ended up pretty slim. Maybe a bit too slim up towards the muzzle. Had to plane down past a blemish.

Glad the lock got worked out. That looks to be pretty fast ignition. Good shootin too........for Army guys. Of course, you did have a Marine involved, so....... :stir:

That's awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

What type of bench vise is that green thing? I really like that. I have one like the blue vise on the left of the bench, and I am always afraid it is going to gouge up my wood even though I lay leather scraps over the jaws.

perrybucsdad said:
That's awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

What type of bench vise is that green thing? I really like that. I have one like the blue vise on the left of the bench, and I am always afraid it is going to gouge up my wood even though I lay leather scraps over the jaws.

I think I got it from woodcraft. In any case, they sell it. http://www.woodcraft.com/product/2...r-patternmakers-or-gunstock-carving-vise.aspx
I love the vise bu I'm not really that happy with the position. This weekend I'm going to make some kind of extension, shelf, type thing to attach to the front of the bench to move it away from the bench some.

That shop is set up in a tiny bedroom in the back of my house. I'm moving real soon and I CAN'T WAIT to have a garage to set up in. One the nice things about it will be being able to set up a free standing vise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your shop is in a bedroom!? It looks like there is a garage door in one of the pics. Lol....

I'll have to look for that vice next time I go out to Woodcraft and have a little extra dough. Thanks for the link.

Some married folks end up sleeping in the doghouse after making an observation to their significant other.

If they are very, very good , and very, very lucky, sometimes the significant other will allow them to move from the doghouse back into the garage. :grin:

Yall did big. I like it. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: Management looks like they would be hard to work for :grin:

Beautiful gun!!! Love it! Another smoothie for the "darkside".

And I like the German Shorthaired pointer too!!

I am on my fourth and I just love the breed.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

TinStar said:
And I like the German Shorthaired pointer too!!

That's Jaeger. My giant bird dog. He's a bird finding MACHINE..... for about 45 minutes. lol

He's a GREAT BIG boy. Not fat so much as scaled up. Here he is pointing a rabbit this morning.
IMG_1698.jpg

No, Supercracker is.

Like I said earlier, I fumbled my way through it until I couldn't fumble any more. Then he showed me how it's really done.

He deserves most of the credit. Although I did rough shape it and stain it....and tuned the lock among a few other things! LOL!

And I'll confirm the fact that Jaeger is not fat as has been accused before...that is the biggest damn pointer I've ever seen! He's solid.

Back