• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

french or english flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an use both. The only negative thing I can say about the french flints is that every now an then I get one that will break in the first 10 shots or so. An thats in all of my flintlocks no matter the brand of lock. Seems like they might be a bit brittle but as i say this is not often. Other than that i like both :hatsoff:

uno676 said:
I've been thinking about making some out of jasper. Anybody try this?

Thought I responded to this once but can't find. :hmm: Oh, well.
I have used Gunter Stifter swan flints made from Jaspis (Jasper). They last so long you would think I was lying if I said how long. They are still available but hard to order from his mostly German language website and they are expensive.

During the F&I, the French flints were knapped with flat tops while English flints often were humped topped. The French flints provided more reliable ignition and longer useful life. It wasn't until the English learned the French knapping process that English flints improved.

During the F&I, the French flints were knapped with flat tops while English flints often were humped topped. The French flints provided more reliable ignition and longer useful life. It wasn't until the English learned the French knapping process that English flints improved.
Just turn the French flints over and you'll have the bump on the top or conversly turn the English flints over to get the flat on the top.. QED..

Back