• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRussell

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Got another wreck to fix up - actually I don't have it yet, my wife has sequestered it until Christmas :(

It's French (I think) so I'm looking for resources / reference material to learn about it.

Here's a photo of the name on the lock
DSC08635crpa.jpg

There's a "Stockel" for French weapons, and I'm wondering if anyone has seen it and can tell me anything about it. Here's the text from the site that sells it, along with a web translation
----------------------
Le "Qui est qui" de l'arme en France T1

De J-J. Buigné et P. Jarlier. Répertoire de plus de 22000 notices sur les arquebusiers, armuriers, inventeurs, fourbisseurs et couteliers, fournisseurs de pièces, personnel des Manufactures, fabricants et commerçants en armes, accessoires et équipements et autres métiers se rapportant aux armes. Le tome 1 comporte les 22000 notices comprenant nom, prénom, et ce qui a été trouvé sur le personnage avec éventuellement ses dépôts de brevets et son adresse. Chaque notice comporte sa source d'archives. Indispensable pour identifier les marquages trouvés sur une arme et la situer dans le temps.

Translated:
J-J. Buigné and P. Jarlier. Repertory of more than 22000 notes on the arquebusiers, arms manufacturers, inventors, furbishers and cutlers, suppliers of parts, personnel of Manufactures, manufacturers and tradesmen out of weapons, accessories and equipment and other trades referring itself to the weapons. Volume 1 comprises the 22000 notes including/understanding name, first name, and what was found on the character with possibly his patent fillings and its address. Each note comprises its source of files. Essential to identify the markings found on a weapon and to locate it in time.
---------------------

I'm guessing the title translates to "Who's Who" (not "which is which" as the free translator has it). This is volume one, arranged, I assume, alphabetically. There is a volume two, which is apparently arranged by city.

It's in French of course. Anyone seen it?

Better yet, can anyone identify the name on the lock??

Is it " MINIER " or " MINIÉ" ?

The right spelling of the name of the inventor of
the bullet is " Minié "

Latest posts

Back