• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French Dragoon Pistol Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bob,
Here is a link showing an original model 1733 that should help you with details.
https://auctions.morphyauctions.com...L_1733_CAVALRY_OR_DRAGOON_PIST-LOT494832.aspx
dave
Thanks and that’s exactly the one I was looking at also! I noticed the two screws on the trigger guard strap and went with that. The teardrop finials of the lock moldings and the tang apron looked almost crude to me. But It seems many of these dragoons had small teardrop finials, if any. For my project I am undecided still.

The side and lock panels are shaped as well as the barrel tang apron. I decided to incorporate the beaver-tail finials after all.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get good photos.

1640306121850.jpeg

Attachments

• 1640306122589.jpeg
    1640306122589.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 29
Hi Bob,
French military guns and also their trade guns are fascinating. The basic designs and architecture were beautiful but the execution of details was often crude and bulky. They often decorated their military and trade guns with sophisticated designs but badly executed. Those model 1733 pistols are a good example.

dave

The side and lock panels are shaped as well as the barrel tang apron. I decided to incorporate the beaver-tail finials after all.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to get good photos.

View attachment 110993
Really looking good. Comparing to the gun pictured at Morphy, can you reduce the diameter of the tails a little. I like that you went with them, they just look a little big proportionally.

I love the moved back entry pipe and the job you did around the pommel/buttcap.

Hi Bob,
French military guns and also their trade guns are fascinating. The basic designs and architecture were beautiful but the execution of details was often crude and bulky. They often decorated their military and trade guns with sophisticated designs but badly executed. Those model 1733 pistols are a good example.

dave
Hi Dave, yes I had noticed that also, but was curious as to why? Looking at these pistols- the graceful lines and sleek profile, they look lovely. Then when I was looking at some on line i thought how crude many appeared to have been carved. These guns take a lot of work to build and I was wondering why they seemed unrefined in the carving departmet.

Last edited:
Really looking good. Comparing to the gun pictured at Morphy, can you reduce the diameter of the tails a little. I like that you went with them, they just look a little big proportionally.

I love the moved back entry pipe and the job you did around the pommel/buttcap.

Yeah, those beaver tails can be trimmed down somewhat now that I have the basic blobs there. These are slightly different types of lock panels than I have done before, so it took some creative time to figure out how I wanted to shape them. The several french pommel pistols that I was looking at were all different in styles so I went with a kind of mix and match. The molding around the barrel tang is really basic, which I may work on (or not). Thanks for you feedback!

Yeah, those beaver tails can be trimmed down somewhat now that I have the basic blobs there. These are slightly different types of lock panels than I have done before, so it took some creative time to figure out how I wanted to shape them. The several french pommel pistols that I was looking at were all different in styles so I went with a kind of mix and match. The molding around the barrel tang is really basic, which I may work on (or not). Thanks for you feedback!
You're work gets better and better with every gun.
Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

This morning I had an early start on the pistol, since there were some last-day Christmas shopping to do. I finished doing some detailing and then a final sanding and whiskering. Then the moment I was so thrilled about- the first application of Boiled Linseed Oil.
The wood looks very lovely to me (Black Walnut has always been a favorite of mine). I gave it a healthy brushing and it soaked right in. After about ten minutes I wiped the surface thoroughly to allow the BLO to set and dry for a day before I start the lighter applications with lots of hand rubbing. When it's where I want it to be I will finish it off with some wiping varnish.
I have always wanted to have a pommel pistol since the days when Navy Arms had them for sale in the 90's, but never had the money to get one. They are kind-of hard to find ( the repro's from Veterans Arms and such just didn't make it for me), so I took the plunge and made this one for myself. It's a Christmas present to myself, after a 30 year wait :)

1640381273063.jpeg

1640381291866.jpeg

1640381643813.jpeg

This morning I had an early start on the pistol, since there were some last-day Christmas shopping to do. I finished doing some detailing and then a final sanding and whiskering. Then the moment I was so thrilled about- the first application of Boiled Linseed Oil.
The wood looks very lovely to me (Black Walnut has always been a favorite of mine). I gave it a healthy brushing and it soaked right in. After about ten minutes I wiped the surface thoroughly to allow the BLO to set and dry for a day before I start the lighter applications with lots of hand rubbing. When it's where I want it to be I will finish it off with some wiping varnish.
I have always wanted to have a pommel pistol since the days when Navy Arms had them for sale in the 90's, but never had the money to get one. They are kind-of hard to find ( the repro's from Veterans Arms and such just didn't make it for me), so I took the plunge and made this one for myself. It's a Christmas present to myself, after a 30 year wait :)

View attachment 111146
View attachment 111147

View attachment 111152
I don't know how I missed this thread. You have done pretty good.
I have been into muzzleloading for about three and a half years and have finished several of the massed produced pistol and rifle kits.
I also dreamed of having this style flintlock pistol and bought the 1733-1760 kit from MBS.
Holy cow, was I in over my head! The amount or work on every casting part was really tough.. The castings are pretty rough. However with patience and advise it is coming along pretty good.
My current problem is finding a "Drill Guide" for the 12 different holes needed, (any advise where I can get one,) since I do not have a drill press.

Latest posts

Back