• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French caplock pistol...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toot, that was an Austro-Hungarian thing. Western armies like ours used the captive ramrod. Imagine having that thing dangling around all the other stuff you were wearing on horseback!

Ooh not only the austrians did it.
Here in norway they had pistols in hand and ramrods in leather slings

Foot soldiers did not, as a general rule, carry ANY kind of pistol in the Georgian and Victorian armies of the era we talk about here. Pistols were for officers, or mounted troops - cavalry - lancers or dragoons. The main difference is that cavalry used sabres, lancers used lances with pistols in saddle holsters - usually in pairs - and dragoons were infantry that rode their horse into battle, then dismounted to fight. Carabiniers, as the name implies, carried shot carbines and often, liked my late grandfather in WW1, heavy straight swords.

Lancers certainly had pistols like this, with captive ramrods that you couldn't drop and lose in combat, or as we used to call it in the old days, battle.

With foot I meant officers of foot.
The pistol could also be for naval service...

Ooh not only the austrians did it. Here in norway they had pistols in hand and ramrods in leather slings

Sadly, there are no movies of Norwegian re-enactors to go by - we DO have Austro-Hungarian re-enactors, though, thanks to capandball. Perhaps you should either encourage your fellow countrymen to get into it, or perhaps do it yourself - we are ALL interested on older firearms, but we first have to know about them.

With foot I meant officers of foot. The pistol could also be for naval service...

Ah, semantics fogging up the issue. A Soldier in English military parlance is NOT an officer, but an officer CAN be a soldier. A 'foot soldier', in English, is understand to be a plain ol' infantryman, not any kind of officer.

Sadly, there are no movies of Norwegian re-enactors to go by - we DO have Austro-Hungarian re-enactors, though, thanks to capandball. Perhaps you should either encourage your fellow countrymen to get into it, or perhaps do it yourself - we are ALL interested on older firearms, but we first have to know about them.

There is some reenactment in Norway but its very small groups (from what I know) and most of the reenact the time we where in union with denmark not when we where in union (kinda???) with sweden.

Anyway, here is picture of the kind of pistol I was refering to whens saying that Norwegians also used the "austrian" romrod solution... (also the swedes did it as we where in a union [kinda???] with them at the time).
on9610__04.jpg

Back