• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French 1766 Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Guys. Look what I found !!! Looks like one of the original Mirouku muskets. The barrel is marked Navy Arms Company Ridge Field. NJ USA It's in untouched condition, still in it's original box. Not a mark on it.
What a lucky find. Wonder where it's been sitting all these years ??

Rick
004 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
007 (Medium).JPG
006 (Medium).JPG

That touch hole appears to be very low in relation to the pan. My Pedersoli Charleville was like that when I bought mine. I experienced many pan flashes. I had a machinist drill the barrel so I could install a touch hole liner, raising the touch hole. Ignition was greatly improved.
Good luck with your new musket.

Hi Ord

Yes, that touch hole was the first thing I noticed. Not a little low, but way too low. LOL I'll just have it plugged and re-drill in the right location.
Appears to be made very well. I once found one of the Brown Bess muskets in a pawn shop around 1981. Should have kept that one.

Rick

Thanks guys for your replies. Too bad about the vent hole location. The gun does indeed look well made. Similar quality and finish like my Spanish Mendi musket. Actually, I've always wanted one of these. Figured I would find one one of these days. But never thought it would be one that was still new in the original box. LOL So I had to jump on it.

Rick

the Miroku vent locations are almost all the same, Just’s at the sunrise position from the bottom of the pan. As far as the quality of the vent hole, I don’t think my miroku charleville has ever missfired once.

The touch hole is perfectly aligned with the breech and the breech plug face has a notch machined in it where the touch Hole lines up, this helps a lot with the consistent fireing of the musket.

My Italian 1763 has a touch hole that is hire and is aligned at the breech and will misfire once in 10 rounds it I don’t clean the area off and pick the vent.

Looking at some origional pictures of 1766’s I have, the touch holes vary a lot, but its hard to tell since many are blown out.

Personally, I’d leave it alone, there’s no need for a vent hole liner on It.

Latest posts

Back