• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Free moose hide

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumping this back up. I still have the hide in the freezer. I had someone interested but I had problems that summer with a car accident and the covid BS.

Anybody still interested?

It would be such a shame for this hide to go to waste. I just don't see myself getting around to doing the work even if I did drive up to get it. Especially not this time of year, and I don't have the freezer space for it.

I really hope someone grabs it and makes use of it.

Maybe post it on the ALR forum as well?

Splitear has first expressed interest and has first dibs pending pickup. If this falls through I'll update post. Hide is located in S.W. Vt just off US RT7

I worked with some green (fresh) cow hides when I was younger. The one that turned out best was not salted or treated with anything, except for washing it with Octagon soap. I fleshed it carefully and stretched it on a frame to dry. Once dry, I just scraped the hair off, which was easier than you might think.

I know the OP wants to clear out his freezer. If that moose hide were mine, I would take it out and let it thaw, and then spread it out. I would hose off the salt, wash the flesh side with Ivory or Octagon soap, and then trim the edges, cutting it down to a neat rectangle or trapezoid shape. One thing I learned years ago was that trying to flesh all those little tags and the ends of the legs was tedious and time consuming. They also make it harder to stretch the hide in a frame. The hide is thinner out toward the edges, and the odd shaped little tags are pretty worthless as rawhide or leather, anyway. A regular shape with straight sides does not really waste anything useful, and is a lot easier to deal with.

After the salt has been removed and the hide has been trimmed to a size and shape you can handle, stretch it on a frame and let it dry. Even if it hasn't been fleshed, whatever tissue is on there has probably been "freeze dried" by now, and it isn't likely to spoil. You can just leave the hide in the frame until you are ready to work with it.

The commercial buffalo hunters of the 1870's did not salt or even flesh the hides of the animals they killed. The skins were simply taken off the animals and "pegged out," hair side down, to dry in the open. Once dried, the hides could be stacked like sheets of plywood.

Plains Indians didn't salt buffalo hides, either. It just wasn't feasible for nomadic people to carry around the quantities of salt that would be required. In working with green hides, I found that salted hides tended to dry "flint hard," while unsalted raw hides were more flexible when dried.

Again, if I were anywhere close, I would pick this hide up. Four cheap two-by-fours, a handful of spikes, and a fifty-foot hank of 3/16" or 1/4" nylon rope is all you need for stretching the hide on a frame. Invest a couple of hours in washing, trimming, and stretching the hide, and it will keep indefinitely. You can finish fleshing and dehairing the hide when you find time.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Back