• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Free From Your Local Roofer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
49666829771_217919976b_c.jpg

49666287203_b61fb62ef0_c.jpg

49666828891_e33238563e_c.jpg

49666286413_b4686926d4_c.jpg

49666285813_c2922a4318_c.jpg

49666285583_dfb79f7a0c_c.jpg

The mold is home made from an old piece of angle iron and a short section of galvanized water pipe. The ingots average about 1 ½ lbs.

49666285088_de3b200964_c.jpg

I just bought some of the roofing lead from my local scrapper. Be careful of the pipes soldered to the flashing. They seem to be harder than the flashing and the solder joints can be harder too. It's probably just fine even if a bit hard.

very nice! I've been going down to the local scrap yard and buying it for a buck a pound. No roofers in this area seem to run into this kind of stuff. Last trip I picked up 144lbs.

Local roofers sell it to the scrap yard. My local scrap yard will resell it at spot, roughly $.95/lb. If given the choice since I cast minies, Xray room lead is the goto at that price.

If you can get roofing lead free and shoot PRB, that's a great score.

I have worked in roofing extensively and managed jobs all around the denver area and never encountered lead flashing. All my work was in areas of homes that were 50 years old and newer. Most homes, if any, in that age range would not have any lead flashing. Much older homes do have it but most roofs have been replaced over the years and no lead used.

It's obviously out there though. I just bought some a couple weeks ago! :) going rate with my guy was 75 cents.

My house was built in 2004 and it had 6 lead roof vents and I re-roofed in 2020 because of hail damage. Roofer swapped them for a 6 pack, which we split while visiting.

Was at a local auction recently. They had two flat sheets of lead about a foot and a half long by a foot wide by about 1/4 inch thick. They went for $25 each.

I have plenty of raw lead for my needs or would have placed a bid.

I viited my med center and met a laborer on the way out pushing a dumpster, full of sheet lead from an xray renovation, I was late but he gave me about 20lbs, after the appointment I went out back and pulled another 20lb sheet out of the roll off, I went back an hr later to burgle it again but there was a cop parked by it...manure!

I just bought some of the roofing lead from my local scrapper. Be careful of the pipes soldered to the flashing. They seem to be harder than the flashing and the solder joints can be harder too. It's probably just fine even if a bit hard.
What does not cause cancer, ulcers ,swine flu, etc. in California?

Back