• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Free Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Col. Batguano said:
Hern sells cast iron tubes for less than that for some of the naval guns. If you're getting in to field pieces they will run you a bit more.

A naval carriage will run you a little bit more than the tube. A field carriage will run you more than that. Just the metal and wheels for a #2 field or pack carriage will run you close to $3000, and you don't have a stick of wood yet.

as said in the qoute, its not the price of the gun that gets you its the carriage and supplies that break the bank.

every now and then i look at this just to dream: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_106_665&products_id=1653

but the price tag has never failed to keep me away. maby many years down the road when im looking at retirement... a man can dream right?

-matt

Last edited by a moderator:
kaintuck said:
Stumpkiller said:
Many of the cannon in parks, squares and cemetaries are still the propertry of the U.S. Government; just on indefinate loan. I learned this from a local paper some years back when they caught someone who was attempting to liberate a cannon near General Pike's memorial and the feds and military (near Ft. Drum) prosecuted him to the full extent and then some.

I live close by Shiloh....I can only IMAGINE what would happen to you if you 'borrowed' one of those cannons :shocked2:

They might not say much if you slipped over there one night and just loaded one and test fired it. :shocked2: :shake: :rotf:

smo said:
kaintuck said:
Stumpkiller said:
Many of the cannon in parks, squares and cemetaries are still the propertry of the U.S. Government; just on indefinate loan. I learned this from a local paper some years back when they caught someone who was attempting to liberate a cannon near General Pike's memorial and the feds and military (near Ft. Drum) prosecuted him to the full extent and then some.

I live close by Shiloh....I can only IMAGINE what would happen to you if you 'borrowed' one of those cannons :shocked2:

They might not say much if you slipped over there one night and just loaded one and test fired it.
:shocked2: :shake: :rotf:

Test fired it!!!! :redface: :shocked2: :shake: :nono: :grin: :grin: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Just give me fair warning as I want to have video of this! This ain't going to be a fairy tell, it will be full renecking story!
I think youall know the difference between a fairytale and a redneck story! A fairy tell begins once upon a time and a redneck story begins with, "this is no _ _ _ _ !

Hey and I fully get where youall are comin from, "I'm in Dixie, I don't have to be in my right mind" that's part of livin here!

When I was stationed at Clark Air Base, in the Phillipines, there was a very old cannon on display at the Headquarters Parade Ground. Well some idiot either packed black powder in it or tried to see if it was still loaded...... by flame. It made a huge boom and rattled windows in the local area (breaking some)> They never caught the gun(s) but I will bet they are still running...... :stir:

For everyones info. Those cannon at our national parks, the carriages are not wood. They are cast aluminum. Can you imagine thhe maintenance on one sitting there year after year, not moving, in all kinds of weather. Thats why they switch to alum. I have a buddy who owns a carriage from G-burg. The condemned it, and auctioned it off no tube tho. cost him a bundle to pick it up and have it reconditioned, and a new tube made. It is now one of the largerst guns used in reenacting. Found out it was a 24# carriage. The tube alone weighs over 1800lbs.

Well Poor Private, since you know of at least a few originals being used my idea was to locate a cannon, a military base would be ideal, and tell them I want to form a historically correct unit to represent Florida in some national matches and then use the military facilities to do the practice shooting. The only hitch is if I tell them my idea some guys on the base will probably just upstage me and do it themselves- if permission could be granted.
It seems the artillery units were always the well-to-do bunch in many cases so I was thinking really good garb, etc for the unit, and practice like H#!! to try to place high in competition.

Not wanting to throw a wet blanket on your dreams but have you considered the worth of what you are asking , both in tradition and money wise . I know that in Briton and commonwealth countries some military units with history minded COs do these sort of displays etc but at their units or their own expense , some history societies also have access to historic field pieces but under very strict conditions . Best bet is to reshearch your own area and see how you get on but be warned if you don't have your heart and mind in the right place the answer will be swift and very rude .

Actually, this has been done----Company M, 7th Cavalry out of Minot, North Dakota have a 12 pounder Napoleon that is on a kind of indefinate loan from the North Dakota National Guard. One of two the Guard still had in storage back in the 1970s. However, inquiries into the other tube have led nowhere--the Guard cites liability issues. They aren't asking for the first one back, but aren't going to give up the second one, either.

I'm afraid you're about 35 years too late.

Rod

Back