• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

frayed patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks with fire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
The pillow tick .018 patches that I find after shooting have frayed edges on them but the spot where the ball is centered is intact and not shattered at all. These are pre-cut and lubed patches of 50-59 cal. for a 50 caliber. Should I use the next size larger patch or are the shattered edges normal. Would a buffer help? I get these frayed edges even with 70 grain 2f charges.

The fraying is normal. It occurs when the patching hits the air at the muzzle, and is " Whipped ". fillers will help only a little. Don't change the size or diameter of the patch over this. You can experiment with other thicknesses, or with different lubes, but you are using the correct size of patch.

Frayed edges won't hurt anything as long as the area around the ball and in the rifling is intact. If the gun shoots accurately with them, I wouldn't bother changing anything.

Walks with fire said:
The pillow tick .018 patches that I find after shooting have frayed edges on them but the spot where the ball is centered is intact and not shattered at all. These are pre-cut and lubed patches of 50-59 cal. for a 50 caliber. Should I use the next size larger patch or are the shattered edges normal. Would a buffer help? I get these frayed edges even with 70 grain 2f charges.
I think it's caused by the several hundred mile per hour wind blast at muzzle exit along with any rotation it might have...heres a set of Oxyoke .015" cotton patches after a range session...50grn Goex 3F target load in a .50cal rifle...all very normal looking

1594484IMG0401800Pixels.JPG

Roundball: Thank you for reposting that picture of your gun and patches. I was thinking that it was you who had posted them awhile back, and they represent a good education to new shooter about what patches should look like after they come out the barrel, including those frayed edges.

Thanks again. Paul

I have a fine shooting .54 with a Getz barrel. I use the 40 Drill cotton pocket liner .015 and a .530. I lube with Hoppies BPP. And yes I get a fray around the edge. No problem, its OK to fray. :thumbsup:

Thanks Roundball and Paul,
Yep, that what my patches look like. It seems a .495 ball and .018 pillow tick is the best for me so far. Now that I found that my front sight was loose and could move side to side a little bit and fixed that I was getting 2" again at 60 yards. I will try the lubed patch down the barrel after loading and the wasps nest buffer as well next time out.

Oh yeah! Those new locks from TC are great. Wow; what a difference.

Thanks again.

Walks with fire said:
Oh yeah! Those new locks from TC are great. Wow; what a difference.
TC really got it right this time...they work perfrectly, and 3/4" Tom Fuller BEFs are outstanding in mine.

PS:
If you haven't also installed one of their redesigned vent liners, I'd suggest you do...when the trigger breaks, ignition is just a single event...seems instantaneous

bramble said:
I haven't heard about new locks from T/C. Would you enlighten me?
bramble
They significantly redesigned their Flint lock assemblies 5-6 years ago...the biggest improvements which put an end to past problems were a reshaped, taller hammer with better angle of attack and an improved frizzen.

(plus a redesigned, very fast vent liner)

So far, while they don't have "an upgrade program" as such, every time any of us have sent the old style lock to the service manager complaining about it's poor reliability, could it be looked over and made more reliable, etc, etc...we've either received the lock back with the improved parts installed at no charge, or, an entire new lock assembly right off the shelf.

Use them with 3/4" Tom Fuller black english flints / bevel up and they're outstanding, long flint life, totally reliable, etc.

roundball....didn't ya do a test to see if ya could use fired patches twice after relubing...........bob

You have a good memory...I sure did, back in the spring I think it was...I ran a second range session with a previously used set of patches just like those in the photo...and no question I could have used them again but tossed them...just wanted to do it for first hand experience

Back