• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Frankenpistol build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajgall

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just finished building this pistol out of various parts an pieces I had around. It is also the first time I have carved and inlet a stock from a blank. I see lots of areas for improvement when I look at it and it was a great learning experience. I can’t wait for my next build.
1588820362272.jpeg

I won’t critique it. If you had fun, learned something and it shoots, all time well spent.
Thank you for sparing me the critique, lol. I see a lot I will do differently next time, and I was able to learn and get a feel for some tasks I’d never done before. Inletting the lock and barrel, cutting dovetails for the sights and barrel tennons. All told I only have $30 dollars in material in the entire pistol. One day I may take it apart again and start over. But for now it’s a fun shooter.

I've done the do over and it's very enlightening. Keep it around for a while and then rethink it.

What kind of wood is that?

I still have my first one. CVA bobcat barrel and percussion lock on a $250 curly maple stock from tiger hunt gunstocks. I made mistakes, but its a learning curve, and the gun shoots well. You may restock it down the road or leave it as is and just shoot it.

Well, you did better inletting than I did on my first gun project when I was 15. I used a lot of wood putty that showed real badly.
And we know your target doesn't care what it was that drilled it's surface so perfectly. It could be Zorro - a perfect gun with a mask to hide how well it shoots.
I mean no disrespect. My first gun is a Zorro and my sister still has it.

This is an original 18th century pistol attributed to American gunsmith Fredrick Sell. He reused an English lock and barrel, both off a pistol by Richard Wilson. I'd say you're in pretty good company!
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_6975.PNG
    IMG_6975.PNG
    622 KB · Views: 113
Enjoy what you have, build other things but keep first build as is. Have often wished I had. Even though it looked like wood was carved with dull chain saw and metal was fashioned with cutting torch. It was lessons learned on things to not do on next build. Yours looks great next to my first and many others. Well over 50 years has passed from then until now. Can still see and hear older cousins reaction to it. "What the hell is that?" "Tell me you are not going to try to shoot it" Sir your first may not be perfect but it is fine just like it is. Enjoy it.

I just finished building this pistol out of various parts an pieces I had around. It is also the first time I have carved and inlet a stock from a blank. I see lots of areas for improvement when I look at it and it was a great learning experience. I can’t wait for my next build. View attachment 30418

It is what it is. A touch of your time, talent, and love. Shoot it and enjoy it. Your next build will no doubt be better but, just like your first child, it will always be your favorite. Got a flint lock pistol i am piecing together and one day i shall return to working on it again.
DL
:ghostly:

leave it alone and use it to lookback in it. and use it as a flagship to the others that will follow/ it shoots and you are having fun with it and that is all that matters. KUDDO'S to you!

Looks great. Bought an odd pistol barrel a couple years back with the intention of doing somethng like this. You've inspired me to kick that project into gear.

Back