• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Franken-Bubba’s Johnny Cashed carbine.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got it glued and clamped. tomorrow i am going to dig out some raw hide, and go full mountain man on that english/italian gun!
going to wet wrap it and let it shrink. then i will start looking for a new piece of wood. like i needed another project :D

I saw one of the old CVA Kentucky’s cut down into a ‘blanket gun’. Had a thin leather faux repair on the front end to hide the stock/fore-end joint and a brass sheet/copper wire wrap ‘repair’ on the wrist. A few feathers, beads, and brass tacks completed the deal. I thought it neat as hell & looked for a ragged out for a while to make one for myself. May still try it one day if one comes along cheap enough.

Can’t say ‘it didn’t cost me a dime’ but it did come together one piece at a time. Started with a Renegade stock, added a New Englander lock, Hawken tang, White Mountain Carbine barrel with New Englander rib & thimble, TC tang peep and Davis Deerslayer triggers. Re-blue the tang & shorten the Hawken ramrod & it’ll be done.
Great Job! I'm sure Johnny would be proud. Getting all those things to fit together like that and function as well is something to be happy about!

Bubba, you have inspired me! while trying to sleep last night i got to thinking about a old cva mountain rifle stock leaning in the corner of the garage!
wonder how it would look with a mortimer lock and barrel. going to do some mock up today and see if it is possible.

LOL. Let me know how it works out.

Great Job on your Frankengun!!!

I put a Renegade together out of parts this year. It was alot easier as they were all for the same model. I started with a barrel and bought the others from eBay (before the prices went through the roof!). Took me a few years to acquire them all! The only problem I had was the coil rod on the lock was longer than the original so I had to take some wood out of the mortise.

Attachments

• GEDC3846.JPG
    GEDC3846.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 40
  • GEDC3849.JPG
    GEDC3849.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 43
  • GEDC3851.JPG
    GEDC3851.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 37
  • GEDC3853.JPG
    GEDC3853.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 47
  • GEDC3855.JPG
    GEDC3855.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 37
One mod I forgot to mention, the nipple threads were screwed up in the White Mountain barrel so I took the plug out of a rusty Hawken barrel & swapped it out.
GOOD GOD MAN the breech police will be after you fur sure!
Next you'll be telling us you took the tags off the dang mattresses in your home!

Actually, it's cool you saved that barrel. Rescue of a muzzleloader is always cool (imho).

LD

Next you'll be telling us you took the tags off the dang mattresses in your home!

Actually, it's cool you saved that barrel. Rescue of a muzzleloader is always cool (imho).

LD

Hahaha. Well, you just can't believe how irritating those tags can be............ 🤪

Great Job on your Frankengun!!!

I put a Renegade together out of parts this year. It was alot easier as they were all for the same model. I started with a barrel and bought the others from eBay (before the prices went through the roof!). Took me a few years to acquire them all! The only problem I had was the coil rod on the lock was longer than the original so I had to take some wood out of the mortise.

Ya done good, pilgrim. Very nice.

One mod I forgot to mention, the nipple threads were screwed up in the White Mountain barrel so I took the plug out of a rusty Hawken barrel & swapped it out.
better watch yer six! you can't get away with that!
i laid up all the mortimer parts with that cva stock. if'n it had been a 50 or 54 cva it "could" have worked but there is just too much to change.
besides i have hopes of restoring the cva to its original glory. think it was bought in 75 or 76.
have rawhide soaking. going with plan "A".
nice lady at pedersoli is getting me a new stock for the mortimer. none of my planks would work.

LD

Better than parting one out, I suppose. But if they didn't do that, I'd still have just a barrel! 😁

I don’t like the term shade tree, give the man the respect for the knowledge he has, he has a skill, we should thank him for sharing a little bit of it.
My Grand Father was a Shade Tree mechanic that was able to do everything and was proud of that nickname. Those were and still are, men who persevered over lack of opportunity and rose above obstacles to succeed. To denigrate the name ,denigrates the men.
John

this is an example of what Bubba.50 is talking about, as far as parts going together. it started life as a plastic stocked Cabelas special.
i put it into a investarms stock while waiting for a nice TC stock to come along. it shoots so well in the IA stock it is going to stay there.
54 calView attachment 88347View attachment 88348
Wowed! That’s a beauty! I once had one of the IA .58 caliber rifles. It had the 21” barrel and I never learned to like that shorty although I’m a big fan M94’ with that length of tube... the one you built looks just right!

Wowed! That’s a beauty! I once had one of the IA .58 caliber rifles. It had the 21” barrel and I never learned to like that shorty although I’m a big fan M94’ with that length of tube... the one you built looks just right!

I'm kinda odd I guess. I like the looks and the handiness of a carbine but I'm not a big fan of shooting them because of the increased muzzle-blast.

But every time I play with this'un I like them a little more. Really happy with the way it all came together.

i have three investarms 21" carbines. 2-50 and a 54. and do they ever bellow! stuff 100g fffg under a prb and they rattle the windows.
the 54 and one 50 shoot little bitty groups at 50 off the bench. the other 50 not so good. haven't figured it out yet.
i put them all together a couple years ago of parts i bought on fleebay. then the butchers that were parting everything out figured out the market and now a lock will cost about what i was paying for a stock with all hardware!. ruined a perfectly good hobby!

I don’t like the term shade tree, give the man the respect for the knowledge he has, he has a skill, we should thank him for sharing a little bit of it.
A shade tree mechanic, or gunsmith, is an adept student. He learns as he goes. Every year he knows more and more.
My cousin Hughes was a good shade tree mechanic in SW Virginia. It was not long after he moved to Philadelphia that he became the main troubleshooter for Bradford White's commercial and industrial applications.

I'm threatening to use some buffalo horn knife handle scales on the front end of a Renegade stock.

I've thought about that a time or two in the past. But about all I have access to is the occasional deer hoof.

Back