• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

fps with my 80 grains fffg 50 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadball

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What type of velocity and energy am i getting with this load: .490 rb with .15 patch over 80 grains of fffg(goex). lets say 50 -100 yards. Im not good with numbers. Just curious. Its in a traditions kentucky percus in 50 cal

What type of velocity and energy am i getting with this load: .490 rb with .15 patch over 80 grains of fffg(goex).

My load data states as follows:

(80 grains of FFFg; .490 rb with .15 patch; 32 inch barrel)

1777 fps at muzzle - 1273 fps at 50 - 995 fps at 100 yards.

1260 FT/lbs energy at muzzle - 680 FT/lbs at 50 - 424 FT/lbs at 100 yards.

:results: :haha:

leadball,

I'm just curious why you would want to shoot 80 grains of powder in a Traditions pistol, unless for hunting big game? The Lyman Great Plains Pistol, probably the best on the market recommends a load of only 30 grains. Are you getting complete powder burn with such a load? Just curious? :hmm:

:haha: I haven't got a clue to where I though he was talking about a pistol??? :haha: :haha:

you should realy try a .015 patch. That .150" patch really cuts the ball size down and is difficult to get to shoot well. I'd expect a .220" ball might be the largest usable.
: Just kidding - misplaced decimal point is all.
: 80gr. 3F should give in the 1,800fps to 2,000fps range.
: Ft lb. energy is meaningless as a guage of killing power. Suffice to say, if this load shoots accurately in your rifle, it will do for deer to 125yds. just as it did in the 1800's. On Moose, I'd hold the range to 80yds. or less for broadside penetration to the off side thorugh ribs only. Stay away from shoulder bones on either game animal.

Keeping it simple is the best and only way to explain things.
Basically your shooting a 175 gr bullet at 1838 fps with 1313 ftlbs of smack.

keep er in tha wind

Ugly Snake

Back