• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fowlers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Birhunter59

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a fowler to hunt grouse and woodcock with and was wondering what would be a good style fowler for that purpose in Michigan

Are you wanting a gun style that would have been used in Michigan, or are you more concerned about effectiveness of a given gun for grouse and woodcock?

If it were me (and I wish it was) I would look for a lighter weight gun for faster swing and maneuvering. Something like a 20 gauge (62 caliber) fowler with a barrel that is octagon to round.

Here is a kit I have been looking at. http://sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-57/

Where in Michigan do you hunt?

Northern Michigan Cadillac area and I have a cabin in the UP around Trout Lake. I have hunted the UP for 25+ years. Yes I am looking for something that is fairly easy to manuver in the grouse cover. Thanks for the input,

I literally just addressed this in an other post...so here it is again.

I went through the same dilemma years ago. I wanted a good solid smooth-bore fowler; so I researched, and read and asked advise. Then I ordered an American Fowler (Early Virginia stock; 20 gauge barrel). Great gun, but a bit on the hefty side, which is actually period correct for a firearm of that design and time frame.

Couple years later I got a Fusil de Chase...OMG!!! That is the gun...at least it was for me.

Long slender stock, very light and maneuverable; and the point-ability of the gun is amazing. The Fusi has done it all and I've loved every minute of it.

As a woods gun, it will cover every base in a deep woods environment...except accuracy beyond 60 yrds...that's rifle territory, at least for me.

I've used my Fusil on small game, very effective on close range big game. The big ball of lead packs a whollip when it hits and my experience is that with a critical hit, Deer just drop in their tracks. It is just a great all around firearm. I cannot give a higher regard for this particular smooth bore style.

I literally just addressed this in an other post...so here it is again.

I went through the same dilemma years ago. I wanted a good solid smooth-bore fowler; so I researched, and read and asked advise. Then I ordered an American Fowler (Early Virginia stock; 20 gauge barrel). Great gun, but a bit on the hefty side, which is actually period correct for a firearm of that design and time frame.

Couple years later I got a Fusil de Chase...OMG!!! That is the gun...at least it was for me.

Long slender stock, very light and maneuverable; and the point-ability of the gun is amazing. The Fusi has done it all and I've loved every minute of it.

As a woods gun, it will cover every base in a deep woods environment...except accuracy beyond 60 yrds...that's rifle territory, at least for me.

I've used my Fusil on small game, very effective on close range big game. The big ball of lead packs a whollip when it hits and my experience is that with a critical hit, Deer just drop in their tracks. It is just a great all around firearm. I cannot give a higher regard for this particular smooth bore style.
I will have to check these out on the internet. Thanks

I'd go for a 16 gauge with a 1 3/8" breech and about 38" long and not heavy walled except at that big breech. All the weight between your hands.

Check out the auction sites for original fowlers. Or, check out Pedersoli's 20 gauges in flint or percussion. If possible, go to a muzzle loading shotgun shoot and talk to some of the folks. TVM will make a percussion or flint fowler as well.

Hi,
For me this would be a very straight forward choice. I would choose the half stock below with 34" barrel in 16 gauge. The gun shown is a rifle but simply replace the barrel with an octagon to round smooth bore. The cheek piece would also be optional. These late flint era English fowlers were the best ever made and the design is strong but incredibly well balanced. The half stock and shorter length serves well in thicker cover.
MNwjAno.jpg

mAI4vez.jpg

cMQJ3Mh.jpg

2uLC2kj.jpg

CzT2aMf.jpg

dave

for me, I would have to give the Caywood English fowlers a long hard look. The English Game Gun with its 30" barrel and very fast lock will come in at 4.5 pounds. Yes, it and the English Fowler with the 41" barrel that weighs 5.5 pounds are very interesting indeed.

ENGLISH GAME GUN (caywoodguns.com)

what a dandy

Latest posts

Back