• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want a flinter and not more than $1500 or so. I don't want to be afraid to hunt with it. Grouse woods in Michigan can be thick.

Ha. I happen to be about to start building one. Mine will be a .58/24 gauge, stocked in curly cherry, sitting fox barrel, shorter although I don't recall the exact length, round-faced lock and a Twigg style stock. It's christening may/should happen in your state in late September with my English setter.

Get yourself a Pedersoli "Indian trade musket" kit.

TRADE MUSKET KIT.JPG

20 gauge, simple to complete, good shooters, and you can knock them about in the woods.

Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket Kit from Dixie Gun Works

LD

Depending on what different species of game you intent to shoot go for a 12bore flint or percussion ,the best are the English original sxs percussion in 12 ,14, bore .they are not heavy for this type of shooting. But it all depends on how much you are willing to spend.
Feltwad

I am thinking about purchasing a fowler to hunt grouse and woodcock with. Any suggestions on what style would be well suited for that?
I went through the same dilemma years ago. I wanted a good solid smooth-bore fowler; so I researched, and read and asked advise. Then I ordered an American Fowler (Early Virginia stock; 20 gauge barrel). Great gun, but a bit on the hefty side, which is actually period correct for a firearm of that design and time frame.

Couple years later I got a Fusil de Chase...OMG!!! That is the gun...at least it was for me.

Long slender stock, very light and maneuverable; and the point-ability of the gun is amazing. The Fusi has done it all and I've loved every minute of it.

As a woods gun, it will cover every base in a deep woods environment...except accuracy beyond 60 yrds...that's rifle territory, at least for me.

I've used my Fusil on small game, very effective on close range big game. The big ball of lead packs a whollip when it hits and my experience is that with a critical hit, Deer just drop in their tracks. It is just a great all around firearm. I cannot give a higher regard for this particular smooth bore style.

Back